shennessy
Newly Registered

Chineese Mapel Bonsai - NEW to BONSAI

:shock:
Hello my Bonsai (Mapel) I have had this inside at a window shelf, so it has had plenty of Light (not direct sunlight). The leaf tips have turned brown I water 2 or 3 times a week. I have since moved this outside to a self on the side of the house, it had probably 2 hours direct sunlight (morning sun) but the leaves are still brown (ish). I have addes some slow release fert. and water via a spray /mist bottle with an occasional good watering.

How can I return the leaves to their bright green appreaance ?
Remove them all ?

I live in Brisbane Australia, it's the end of summer here about 30 to 34 deg. C daytime. Can get quite humid during the day.

Should I take this indoors ? (air conditioning) or move to a different place outside so it's not in direct sunlight as it can get very hot.

What is the best care / watering method for a Chineese Mapel bonsai.

Regards
S.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Shennessy,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I must admit that I had never heard of this species so I had to do a little quick research just out of curiosity. The source I located indicates that they are evergreen which cam as a bit of a surprise. I can only assume that the behave as Live Oaks do in the southern United States, retaining last years foliage until the fresh leaves replace them. Hardiness is indicated to be 0 to 10 degrees F. Although trees in pots are usually a little more tender than their full sized counterparts.
The leaf tips have turned brown...I have since moved this outside to a self on the side of the house, it had probably 2 hours direct sunlight (morning sun) but the leaves are still brown (ish).
Once you get some damage like this to Maple leaves they will not regain the same state they had in the spring. Don't expect them to look as good in the fall as they did in the spring. Do not defoliate (remove the leaves) now, it is too late in the season.
I water 2 or 3 times a week...and water via a spray /mist bottle with an occasional good watering.
An occasional soaking is not adequate. Every time you water the soil should be thoroughly soaked. Then don't water again until the soil is approaching dryness.

Look here for information about [url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html]basic bonsai care.[/url] First read about watering your tree. Then about winter care.

Unless this particular species is very different than other Maples it will be gearing down now and readying itself for the dormant season. Dormancy is a gradual process that is brought upon by diminishing day length and cooler weather. It is important that your tree be allowed to experience these triggers, please leave outside through the first frosts before storing it for the winter. Your climate will dictate what type of protection will be required later.

Norm

shennessy
Newly Registered

Hi,
I have had a further thought, my Tree is either a Chinese Maple or a Japanese Maple. We don't get a frost here in Brisbane.
Summer - 15deg.c to 35+ deg.c
winter - 5deg.c to 24deg.c with no rain.
Summer is our wet season.
My small tree is 7 years old now, I have had it for 6 months so I'm still a little green (sad joke) around the ears.

Were currently at the end of our summer months, I will keep an eye on the tree, the brown tips may be from exposure to the sunlight as the direct sun can burn easily in this sort of climate.

Where would an ideal location be for a tree of this type based on my climate?
Would indoors be an option ? or leave it outside to experience the climate change as nature would intend.

There is a Bonsai garden here in Brisbane, so I should go take a peek and ask them questions also.
I will take a picture of my tree and post on this Forum.

Regards & Thanks
s

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Shennessy,

Here is some information about taking and posting pictures.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Here is some about Maple culture. [url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/AcerPalmatum.html[/url]
I will keep an eye on the tree, the brown tips may be from exposure to the sunlight as the direct sun can burn easily in this sort of climate.
I agree, some shade during the hottest part of the day will help. I would not consider keeping this tree inside. If you desire a tree for indoors look for a tropical variety.
There is a Bonsai garden here in Brisbane, so I should go take a peek and ask them questions also.
By all means go see them if you are able to. You may not be able to ask questions unless you go there in a day that has a lecture or demonstration scheduled. But just seeing some quality trees can be inspiring.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

EDIT: I see this thread has moved on a bit since I started this reply...That's what I get for multi tasking..:lol:.

Re: 'Chinese Maple', Due to differing sources my info is slightly different from Gnomes.

shennessy,

Welcome,

I like Gnome am unfamiliar with 'Chinese Maple':

A quick bit of research finds its origins around the River Han & Sichuan Province in China, [url=https://gardening.mweb.co.za/0009.htm]This site[/url] lists the scientific name is Acer buergerianum. This is a Trident Maple of which I have four. :)
[Just whips, But I love 'em :D- But we will see if yours is the same.]

However: Also listed [url=https://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/m/maples14.html]elsewhere[/url] as the Chinese Sugar Maple is Sorghum saccharatum (known also as Andropogon arundinaceus, var. saccharatus).

So conflicting info there, I am not going to assume what you have there.
Pictures would be helpful here. :)

If your tree is a Trident you will have some difficulties as I see [Through further research] that in Brisbane your average winter high temp is approaching 68f. This and having a latitude of 27 degrees will mean there are less of the seasonal changes of light and temps that Gnome spoke of.

This will make achieving/maintaining a dormancy a bit of a challenge to say the least.

So a few points at random :).
I have had this inside at a window shelf, so it has had plenty of Light (not direct sunlight).
It is a common misconception that it is bright indoors, It is not. Not to a plant that is. It may seem bright to you, But instead consider that light outside is half of a sphere outside [Straight up & to the horizon in every direction + All the reflective light] vs. a source of light from one direction letting in a very small portion of that light inside.

Here's the math: the intensity of light decreases to the square of the distance.

What this means is that if your plant is 10 feet from the window the available energy in the form of light is 64 times less than if it were 2 feet from the window. { 10-2=8, 8 squared=64}

Here is a previously posted bit about watering:

When to water:

It is impossible to water on a schedule: Watering on a schedule does
not address this question:

Does the tree need water?

Only checking the tree every day determines that, If it is moist two
knuckles deep into the soil- no need for water.

You cannot simply feel the surface of the soil as this is the first
to dry [and there is much below the surface.]

Check it every day, only water when it needs it.

To properly water a bonsai use a can w/ a fine rose
[Fine spray] and completely soak the soil until the water runs out
of the drainage holes, In 10 minutes you repeat this procedure, and
10 minutes later a final watering. All three times you completely
saturate the soil until the water is draining freely from the drainage holes.

Where would an ideal location be for a tree of this type based on my climate?
Outside, Your problem is going to be a lack of cold weather.
Would indoors be an option ? or leave it outside to experience the climate change as nature would intend.
Absolutely not.
That is exactly what you need to do.
Do ask them if they have your species and is it evergreen or deciduous.
Also, If they do have deciduous trees ask how they handle dormancy requirements.
shennessy wrote: I will take a picture of my tree and post on this Forum.
Please do post a picture in this thread.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”