djlen
Green Thumb

Trident Maple

Does anyone have any experience with re-potting Tridents after they leaf out?
I have defoliated in the past and then re-potted but I've got a bunch that need re-potting and would like to just go ahead and do it.
The season really snuck up on me this year. Everything here in the east has taken off way too quickly.

SvetSad

At the last bonsai club meeting, for repotting demonstation, 2 trident maples were re-potted after they have leafed out, anyway, if they haven't leafed out long ago, you may still be able to do it, otherwise it may be better to wait till next year. I've never dealt with them myself so u may want to wait for someone else to give u advice :) :)

TomM
Greener Thumb

Same story here. Same advice with these precautions. While re-potting - do it quickly and not in the hot sun, mist the new foliage during and after the procedure, when done keep the newly re-potted tridents in shade to recover for 10 days or so. Re acclimate into full sun gradually. Again do some misting.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Are you potting up or down or back into the same pot? If there's no root work to be done, repotting should not be traumatic at all, really. If you need to trim the root ball outside of repot season, be very lenient and take as little as possible. Ditto the above, although I don't baby mine as much as all that, it's safer.

djlen
Green Thumb

I figured if any time was safe, now would be it because here we are expecting to experience some cooler weather the next few days to a week and putting them in the shade with misting and the cool temps. would probably be OK. I would never do it in mid-summer because the strain would be too much for them, I think.
I've got the same issues with my Zelkova. Got a ton of them that need re-potting as well, but I think they are safer for me than the Tridents.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”