damaster97
Newly Registered

Japanese Black pine seeds... WHERE TO START?

Hello everybody,

I just bought a pack of japanese black pine seeds, and I would like to grow them into healthy bonsai trees. I don't know where to start. I read that this was a bad tree to begin the experience of bonsai, but I already bought the seeds, so oh well.

Is there anyone experienced with this species that could help me out?

SvetSad

well, first, you need to follow the instructions for planting the seeds, then wait 10 years or so before your tree is big enough before anything can really be done with it. Also I hope you bought Japanese Black Pine seeds and not Bonsai Japanese Black Pine seeds....
because I've noticed that tree seeds labeled as bonsai seeds cost way more than just regular tree seeds, even though its same thing :)

damaster97
Newly Registered

Ok, but I didn't get planting instructions.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Pines, in general, are very slow growing trees. Ten years to get started is just half the story. See the seed starting forum here. Some would call it a foolhardy way to start your journey into bonsai - but some do succeed.

In any case you might also consider a pre-bonsai from a reputable nursery to keep you interested while waiting for the seeds to do something - the first 10 years.

BTW - pines are hardy outdoor trees and will not live for very long indoors.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”