LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Rosemary & Moss Question

Hello!

My girlfriend and I made our own little Rosemary Bonsai over the weekend. It is our first attempt at a Bonsai and we figured the $3.75 pricetag for the small Rosemary and little container wouldn't break the bank should we fail miserably. (They had pre-made ones for $30, but we spent about half that making our own!)

I have the following questions:
1 - Is there a certain type of moss we should get for the Rosemary Bonsai, or will any type do? We don't want to harm anything.

2 - Does anyone know what kind of reading we should look for with our moisture meter? I've been researching and finding out that the soil can get fairly dry (not completely), between waterings, but I don't know what kind of moisture meter reading to look for.

Thank you kindly in advance for any advice anyone might have!

Also, if I were to take a picture and post it, would anyone possibly be able to give us any tips or advice?

Thanks! :D
- LB

ynot
Greener Thumb

Hello LiddleBuddha,
My girlfriend and I made our own little Rosemary Bonsai over the weekend. It is our first attempt at a Bonsai and we figured the $3.75 pricetag for the small Rosemary and little container wouldn't break the bank should we fail miserably. (They had pre-made ones for $30, but we spent about half that making our own!)
Good choice, Far more economical and you can learn more on the same budget :). You may also find [url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/nurserys.htm]this[/url] article of interest. 8)
I have the following questions:
1 - Is there a certain type of moss we should get for the Rosemary Bonsai, or will any type do? We don't want to harm anything.
No there is not, Moss is absolutely not required [or encouraged IMO].

In fact the moisture and light requirements for moss are substantially different than for most bonsai. IE: If you are keeping it wet enough to have lush moss, It is possible that the tree is drowning.

Moss also limits aeration of the potting medium [And oxygen is as important as moisture in there].

It is beneficial to use a primarily inorganic potting medium with a large course structure that drains well due to the large particle size. See these two stickys for more details on proper bonsai potting medium.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3423

Note the structure and [massive:)] size of the 'soil' particles in the photos and video of the second one. This is what you want.

It is a common misconception that bonsai have moss on them all the time. In the vast majority of the specimen bonsai [Really fine examples] that one sees the moss has simply been cultivated elsewhere and placed there shortly before the show or photo.

It is then removed shortly after.
2 - Does anyone know what kind of reading we should look for with our moisture meter? I've been researching and finding out that the soil can get fairly dry (not completely), between waterings, but I don't know what kind of moisture meter reading to look for.
Your own judgement, When you have proper 'soil' [ I put it that way as it truly does not resemble anything you would call soil, But it is the best medium to grow bonsai in.] A moisture meter will not be an effective method.

Get to know your plants use your finger- dig in a bit, Test the weight of the pot etc.

[url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html]Here[/url] is a page full of articles that will start you on your bonsai journey.

I suggest for a start you focus on the ones on Watering, Soil and the beginners basics. Try to get to them all {There's heaps 8)} as it is a great site but please try to absorb the three I mentioned first.

I am confident it will lead to more questions ;)...It just seems to work that way :D.
Also, if I were to take a picture and post it, would anyone possibly be able to give us any tips or advice?
Surely, See this link for some photo tips: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557

I hope this has been helpful, Please do post some pictures and as always...

Enjoy the journey

ynot

EDIT:Gnome makes an excellent point [That I missed, I should have done the math..lol] wrt not rushing something into a pot. IE: I have five times more stuff in training pots rather than in bonsai pots while the tree is in development. {Various: Plastic, Terra cotta, Cut down nursery containers- I have even used plastic coffee cans :)}
Last edited by ynot on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

LB
Excellent attitude. Those pre-made bonsai sold at the dept. and box stores are often ridiculously overpriced. By doing it yourself you get a much better plant for less money and also afford yourself the opportunity to learn something. I'll take it one step further though, and point out that an expensive pot is not necessary at first either. But that's another story.
Some people can, and do, keep moss alive in their pots but this is different than the dry stuff that is sometimes seen in stores. Some people use moss only when showing or photographing their trees, and some not at all. Bottom line, moss is by no means a necessity.
Sorry I can't help you there, I have never gone to the expense of purchasing one, I simply judge the moisture content by touching the soil and perhaps more importantly, by observing and getting to know my individual plants.

I'm on my second Rosemary, having killed the first in short order, so I'm still working on getting to know them. I recently re-potted the new one and it is not looking terribly well just now either.

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557]Here[/url] is some information regarding taking and posting pictures.

Look [url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rosemary.htm]here[/url] for some information about Rosemary.

Good luck.

Norm

rjj

In my opinion Rosemary is not a good beginner tree. It hates to have its roots disturbed and is very picky about watering. I can grow them for years in regular containers just fine, but they start to throw hissyfits when I start preparation to go to bonsai pots.

Good luck with yours.

randy

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

ynot, gnome, and rjj,

Holy ton of great info! Thanks very much for posting your replies and links! Looks like I have some homework to do. :wink: hehe..

Based on the information in your replies I think we'll forego the moss, at least for now. I'm also thinking I'll leave the roots alone too. In the near future I would like to get some better Bonsai soil, like the stuff you recommended, ynot.

The Rosemary came in a starter pot that was packed very tightly with soil. I pulled about a third of the roots off the bottom, and a bunch of the little dried ones around the edges. I tried knocking some of the soil free without damaging the rest of the root system. I'm thinking that the roots won't get proper drainage if it's left in that soil though. Dunno.

Anyway, I took a couple photos of it this morning and posted one of them at the following link in the Bonsai Gallery section of this forum. If you check it out you'll definitely see that it needs some work yet. But I'll post any progress and changes.

Thank you again, everyone, for the great advice! :D

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23612#23612

ynot
Greener Thumb

LiddleBuddha wrote:
Holy ton of great info! Thanks very much for posting your replies and links! Looks like I have some homework to do. :wink: hehe..
Your welcome, We're good like that :lol:. It is a never ending journey. :D
Based on the information in your replies I think we'll forego the moss, at least for now. I'm also thinking I'll leave the roots alone too. In the near future I would like to get some better Bonsai soil, like the stuff you recommended, ynot.
Good soil will help alot. :)
The Rosemary came in a starter pot that was packed very tightly with soil. I pulled about a third of the roots off the bottom, and a bunch of the little dried ones around the edges. I tried knocking some of the soil free without damaging the rest of the root system. I'm thinking that the roots won't get proper drainage if it's left in that soil though. Dunno.
Considering rjj's comments about their sensitivity to rootwork I might have left that third of the roots alone-Hopefully it will be of no consequence. Rinsing it under tepid water next time will help to remove more soil.
Your right about the drainage.
Anyway, I took a couple photos of it this morning and posted one of them at the following link in the Bonsai Gallery section of this forum. If you check it out you'll definitely see that it needs some work yet. But I'll post any progress and changes.
Nice to see a pic, :)..

ynot

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

ynot,

A never ending journey indeed. A just beginning one for me. But I'm excited to embark! :P

Ya, I probably should've done a bit more homework before messing with the roots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. We actually did rinse them under tepid water. :D

Hopefully we didn't upset the little thing too much in the transplanting process. I'll just keep a close eye on it. :shock:

If it doesn't make it, I can always swing the $3.75 for a new baby plant. I guess one way to look at is that if it really starts to be unhappy we can make some yummy little dish with it! Aw, pooor little Bonsai! :oops: hehe..

But I'm really gonna try my very best with this one. :wink:

ynot
Greener Thumb

LiddleBuddha wrote:
A never ending journey indeed. A just beginning one for me. But I'm excited to embark! :P
:D
Ya, I probably should've done a bit more homework before messing with the roots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. We actually did rinse them under tepid water. :D
No worries, We have seen folks who did Less homework- but more to their tree. ;)
Rinse=Good.
Hopefully we didn't upset the little thing too much in the transplanting process. I'll just keep a close eye on it. :shock:
:Fingers crossed:
If it doesn't make it, I can always swing the $3.75 for a new baby plant. I guess one way to look at is that if it really starts to be unhappy we can make some yummy little dish with it! Aw, pooor little Bonsai! :oops: hehe..
LOL... Yeah, At least this kind is edible. ;)
John Naka said 'Dead trees are the tuition for learning bonsai.' ... So true.

As you noted, Your tuition is pretty inexpensive so far [And your learning right?]
IMO your ahead already, Some folks buy a $50 tree and lose it...You know :roll:.
But I'm really gonna try my very best with this one. :wink:
Learn from your mistakes, Celebrate your survivors and above all enjoy the journey! :)

good luck

ynot

ynot
Greener Thumb

Little Buddha wrote:The larger rocks are not glued down. I can remove them this evening. Does the weight of them hurt the root system?
Not so much that, Are the smaller ones glued? If they are it limits aeration of the soil and oxygen is just as important as moisture in your trees soil.

This is also why a [Usually primarily inorganic ] course [large particle] mix is an effective potting medium.
A bit of an explanation of what I refer to [aeration] is here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3530

ynot

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

ynot,
oxygen is just as important as moisture in your trees soil.

This is also why a [Usually primarily inorganic ] course [large particle] mix is an effective potting medium.
Got ya. I am definitely going to do some research and see what I can do about getting that little plant transferred to some better potting medium this weekend.
Your tuition is pretty inexpensive so far [And your learning right?]
I'm definitely learning! I'm definitely glad I didn't buy one of the pre-made Bonsai trees. They were expensive, and I've discovered that they weren't potted in the proper medium anyway, etc.

Thanks again for your comments and advice! :D Hugely appreciated!

Best,
- LB

ynot
Greener Thumb

Got ya. I am definitely going to do some research and see what I can do about getting that little plant transferred to some better potting medium this weekend.
No need to be in a hurry- The time it takes to research some good soil components will be worth the long term benefits. Take some time to absorb the info about soil. Ask questions if you need to. It is a complex issue with no single answer. Let us know what you are considering.
I'm definitely learning! I'm definitely glad I didn't buy one of the pre-made Bonsai trees. They were expensive, and I've discovered that they weren't potted in the proper medium anyway, etc.
I am glad to see it too:) 8).

So many people invest no time in research... Yet they invest [waste!] $50 on something they have no idea how to take care of and it declines... to no ones surprise. That $ could go much further [If you know what your looking for, I am NOT talking about anything in a bonsai pot either.] at a regular everyday nursery buying stock with potential. Plus, You get to train it 8).
Check[url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/nurserys.htm]this page[/url]out.
Thanks again for your comments and advice! :D Hugely appreciated!
Your very welcome 8)

ynot

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hey ynot,

I printed and read everything at the great link you gave me. Thanks! :D Sorry for my delayed reply. I've been reading up on Bonsai soils and I'm learning a ton!

I've also been reading various other posts of yours and several others' in the forum. :P Very cool stuff going on in the Bonsai world!

Reading up and looking at pictures has me feeling pretty inspired. So I'm thinking of trying a real Bonsai tree soon. 8) I'm probably going to wait until the weather's a little warmer here though, (Southeastern PA.)

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for a good beginner tree? I have about an hour each morning I can spend with my plants/trees, and every evening after work, in addition.

I'll probably just go to a nearby garden center and pick out an inexpensive sapling and get it started in a training pot with some good soil.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

LiddleBuddha wrote:Hey ynot,

I printed and read everything at the great link you gave me. Thanks! :D Sorry for my delayed reply. I've been reading up on Bonsai soils and I'm learning a ton!
Your very welcome, That's excellent to hear, [Um- Pick your appropriate smiley, I like both myself. ;) :D] [img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/cool/yo.gif[/img][img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/cool/yo.gif[/img][img]https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1939/u4jchinaec9.gif[/img][img]https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1939/u4jchinaec9.gif[/img]
I've also been reading various other posts of yours and several others' in the forum. :P Very cool stuff going on in the Bonsai world!
Ah, Little Buddha...You are a rare breed indeed! a 'Researcher' [img]https://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9830/clapoheadjc6.gif[/img]8)8). This is a good thing in bonsai [As you have 'read me' a bit- You have most likely have heard me say this] Because there is lots of time to read and research while you 'Let them grow - let them grow - let them grow'
Reading up and looking at pictures has me feeling pretty inspired. So I'm thinking of trying a real Bonsai tree soon. 8) I'm probably going to wait until the weather's a little warmer here though, (Southeastern PA.)
Good call, I think you will have more options to choose from at the nursery if you wait a bit. . :) We can get more in depth into the nuances of nursery shopping for material with bonsai potential ['Potentsai'] later if you wish. IMO it is simply the most bang for a buck a beginner can possibly get. In addition one tends to be willing to take more risks [And therefore learn more] with the 5$ or 8$ stock rather than the $50 variety you know. That $50 [Spent wisely] gets 5 or 10 times as much stuff. :D [With significantly less stress]
I have about an hour each morning I can spend with my plants/trees, and every evening after work, in addition.
Morning will be your 'maintenance time' as this is the most appropriate time to water [When required-Naturally. You knew I was going to say that though. ;)].
After work you can just chill out and stare at them and consider your plans for their future. [Hmm, I want a branch there...More girth at the trunk flare, I need to eliminate that branch...etc.] or simply enjoy the progress made so far. BTW- Take lots of photos to keep track of the progress your making.

You will be amazed at what the application of knowledge and some time can accomplish, I bet you already know this feeling from surfing through bonsai pix online.
Wait until it is your tree :) It may not [Yet, Or possibly ever] be one of those 'jaw-dropping' specimens but the sense of accomplishment you get when you start to recognize progress in your own trees is Amazing. You will hardly be able to contain yourself :).

My friends do not mention bonsai to me under any circumstances as they are annoyed enough already.. : P ;) :lol:
[Kinda like that guy you know who is a football, or car/truck, or wrestling fanatic...:lol:]... Just a silly sidenote there.

The actual time spent working on the trees [Or 'potensia'- Potential trees] is far less than most people assume. The sad reality is that many bonsai are 'killed through kindness', IOW- micro-management. IE: Patience is both a virtue and the discipline to do things on the trees schedule because without a live tree...Well, What's the point?

Having said that, Understand going in that you will lose trees.We all do. I have lost more trees than I care to remember. [Gnome has said this also]

[I see I have already posted this quote in this thread but Oh well..:lol:]

John Naka said: 'Dead trees are the tuition you pay to learn Bonsai.'

These words are so true, As long as I am repeating myself :roll:... Here's something I say about bonsai often:

Learn from your mistakes, Celebrate your survivors, And above all else, Enjoy the journey!

Trying to learn from the mistakes made and striving not to repeat them is part of the challenge of bonsai.

I am lucky in that I keep coming up with creative fresh new ways to kill 'em.:P ;).

Bonsai is a mix of art and horticulture [From a horticultural point of view it is essentially container gardening with some caveats wrt the size of the containers we are aiming for, The 'soil', and winter protection.

The 'Art' side of it comes into play [To the degree that you care to apply it] when you have a pretty good handle on not producing 'kindling' ;).
Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for a good beginner tree?
I'll probably just go to a nearby garden center and pick out an inexpensive sapling and get it started in a training pot with some good soil.

Did you see thread about pond baskets? [for water plants] They are inexpensive [$2 or less] and make excellent training pots.

Well, I don't know if you have seen [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3524&highlight=shohin]this[/url]thread. These/This were bought from Lowes in the greenhouse [I emphasize not in a bonsai pot. It is described in the thread but if you have questions let me know.][url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3369&highlight=shohin]These two[/url] are from the same original pot-o-ficus as the above [As I recall- Might have been another $6 investment]. They are not a great example of...Well, anything actually IMO, But you come to love even the red-headed step-child type ones too if you know what I mean. ;)
[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3379&highlight=shohin]Yet another[/url] ficus from lowes, This is a 'pandora' variety of Ficus benjamina. I think these were actually cheaper than the $6 stated [I get confused...:shrug:] also later in that thread is a far larger boxwood that was $13 from [again] lowes.

What is available locally can vary considerably. Along with any species ideas you may get [From me or elsewhere] I also suggest that you cruise your local nurseries {Pen & paper in hand} and take note of a few of the things that are easily available and then put those research skills to work and see what the bonsai possibilities for 'x' and 'y' are. Remember to check both the Latin and common name in combo w/ 'bonsai' when googling [search the images also]. Your options may surprise you.:)

Obviously I highly recommend ficus [Again NOT in the bonsai pot] Though there are many other options available at your average nursery:
Japanese Holly, Boxwood, several varieties of Junipers, Pyrocanthia Often Barberry, Camellia, Azalea, and Forsythia among others are available as well. [I have no doubt I have forgotten some very obvious examples of good choices...Someone will come along with those suggestions soon though.]

Considering your rookie status ;). I highly suggest the bucket of ficus [This offers multi trunks to separate re-pot and play with [Chop some, Grow some- etc...] AND they come inside for the winter so you get to continue to play in the winter time. :D] Also a juniper or holly [The smaller leaves the better] to have something for the evergreen outdoor experience [WRT holly- Illex Crenata are evergreen, Illex Serrata are deciduous] I am not sure what deciduous trees/shrups you will have available [inexpensively] locally. [Aside from the aforementioned deciduous holly]

Don't be afraid to get dirty when nursery shopping:) Dig a bit, Pull possible candidates from the pots and check the root systems/nebari.
Ignore the looks of strangers who do not understand the hunt your on ;):).

Don't feel that you have to get everything in the first place you stop [or in one trip] don't feel the need to buy the first thing you see.

On the other hand don't get all stressed out either...This is supposed to be fun. 8) We can get more into what to look for when 'bonsai hunting' later if you wish.

I know your reading list is pretty full at the moment...:lol:

Well, If your still reading this and have not died of old age while wading through this novel-esque post. [It was intended to be a vignette I swear..;)]

I [and others I am sure.] look forward to hearing your continued enthusiasm, Research, and resulting questions, Keep 'em coming. :) 8)

later on

ynot

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

ynot,
Good call, I think you will have more options to choose from at the nursery if you wait a bit. . We can get more in depth into the nuances of nursery shopping for material with bonsai potential ['Potentsai'] later if you wish. IMO it is simply the most bang for a buck a beginner can possibly get. In addition one tends to be willing to take more risks [And therefore learn more] with the 5$ or 8$ stock rather than the $50 variety you know. That $50 [Spent wisely] gets 5 or 10 times as much stuff. [With significantly less stress]
'Potentsai'. I like this. hehe.. I will definitely let you know what I'm considering, or what I find.
BTW- Take lots of photos to keep track of the progress your making.
Good call! Thanks for that suggestion! I'll definitely take photos. I'll post works in progress here too.
You will be amazed at what the application of knowledge and some time can accomplish, I bet you already know this feeling from surfing through bonsai pix online.
Wait until it is your tree It may not [Yet, Or possibly ever] be one of those 'jaw-dropping' specimens but the sense of accomplishment you get when you start to recognize progress in your own trees is Amazing. You will hardly be able to contain yourself.
I don't doubt it. As it is, whenever one of our regular houseplants sprouts new growth I freakout and dance all around the house! My g/f thinks I'm crazy. But I just think it's the coolest thing.
Patience is both a virtue and the discipline to do things on the trees schedule because without a live tree...Well, What's the point?
One thing I do have is patience. So I won't be tempted by the prevailing American "instant gratification" mindset, such as we see with rampant consumerism, etc.
I like this. Makes sense. Tho knowing the above I'll probably still cry like a little girl the first time I kill a tree. hehe..

I actually did see your '5 Into 1 Ficus Trunk Fusing Project' post. It is one of the things that made me feel inspired. Super cool!

I really like Ficus Benjamina. Interestingly enough my step-daughter was looking through one of our plant books the other evening and pointed to a Ficus Benjamina photo and said, "I really like this one!" Perhaps I shall look into something like that?
Well, If your still reading this and have not died of old age while wading through this novel-esque post. [It was intended to be a vignette I swear..][/code]
It's all good. I read every word twice! I'm thirsty for knowledge. Speaking of which... I was poking around on Google, and I found this...

https://www.rosadebonsai.com/index.html

A Bonsai studio right nearby to us! About a 30 minute drive from our house. I'm thinking of signing up for a class. Definitely looks like something fun to do. And certainly less oppressive than my 9/11/01 research obsession! hehe..
I [and others I am sure.] look forward to hearing your continued enthusiasm, Research, and resulting questions, Keep 'em coming.
This is great to know! I know that I'll have more questions for you guys soon enough! Hopefully I won't make you regret saying that. Hah!

I must boogie outta here for now. Catch ya laters. Have a good one! :D

Best,
- LB

ynot
Greener Thumb

LiddleBuddha wrote: 'Potentsai'. I like this. hehe.. I will definitely let you know what I'm considering, or what I find.
8)
BTW- Take lots of photos to keep track of the progress your making.
Good call! Thanks for that suggestion! I'll definitely take photos. I'll post works in progress here too.
8) 8)
Wait until it is your tree It may not [Yet, Or possibly ever] be one of those 'jaw-dropping' specimens but the sense of accomplishment you get when you start to recognize progress in your own trees is Amazing. You will hardly be able to contain yourself.
I don't doubt it. As it is, whenever one of our regular houseplants sprouts new growth I freakout and dance all around the house! My g/f thinks I'm crazy. But I just think it's the coolest thing.
You and I have something in common :D, LOL... I think your going to enjoy your soon to be 'full blown' bonsai addiction. [There really is no other word for it..;) ]
[img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/big/12.gif[/img]
Patience is both a virtue and the discipline to do things on the trees schedule because without a live tree...Well, What's the point?
One thing I do have is patience. So I won't be tempted by the prevailing American "instant gratification" mindset, such as we see with rampant consumerism, etc.
I see by the last sentence you speak my language. 8):!:
I like this. Makes sense. Tho knowing the above I'll probably still cry like a little girl the first time I kill a tree. hehe..
Yeah, The first one hurts, The second one hurts, The thir....Well, It just hurts ya know...

In a way it's more vexing later on because due to the knowledge you have accumulated over time you tend to think "I should have...." Instead of "Oops, I didn't know that"
I actually did see your '5 Into 1 Ficus Trunk Fusing Project' post. It is one of the things that made me feel inspired. Super cool!
:shock: :shock: :shock: [I mean those smilies in a good way.] Thank you very very much. I can honestly say that is the highest praise I can possibly imagine wrt bonsai. I mean "Nice tree" is one thing, Being one of the catalysts for inspiration is another thing entirely.

[img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/big/biggrininvasion.gif[/img][img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/big/ThankYou.gif[/img]

Please excuse me for a moment :Dances around the room: ;)

The best part is this: You are a $20 bill [That is trees, plastic pot, and soil] and two years away from having exactly what your looking at in the picture.
I really like Ficus Benjamina. Interestingly enough my step-daughter was looking through one of our plant books the other evening and pointed to a Ficus Benjamina photo and said, "I really like this one!" Perhaps I shall look into something like that?
Me too, That's what my fusing project is. I often say they are tougher than a 2$ steak. :D
Well, If your still reading this and have not died of old age while wading through this novel-esque post. [It was intended to be a vignette I swear..][/code]
It's all good. I read every word twice! I'm thirsty for knowledge.
Excellent
Speaking of which... I was poking around on Google, and I found this...

https://www.rosadebonsai.com/index.html

A Bonsai studio right nearby to us! About a 30 minute drive from our house. I'm thinking of signing up for a class. Definitely looks like something fun to do. And certainly less oppressive than my 9/11/01 research obsession! hehe..
That looks cool indeed, I surfed through the site [And looked at the trees in the background of the photos [Bonsai nerd here?...Yeah, Maybe :lol:]
Some say A club is the best thing you can do. Sadly I have never had a local one.
I [and others I am sure.] look forward to hearing your continued enthusiasm, Research, and resulting questions, Keep 'em coming.
This is great to know! I know that I'll have more questions for you guys soon enough! Hopefully I won't make you regret saying that. Hah!

I must boogie outta here for now. Catch ya laters. Have a good one! :D

Best,
- LB
:lol: I am not scared :P;), Keep 'em coming.[img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/cool/cowboy.gif[/img]

ynot

PS: Besides, There is a secret weapon here you haven't even seen yet...heh heh heh :twisted:

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hi ynot,
You and I have something in common , LOL... I think your going to enjoy your soon to be 'full blown' bonsai addiction. [There really is no other word for it.. ]
hehe... Indeed. I think I may already be annoying my g/f, and we don't even have a real Bonsai yet!
I see by the last sentence you speak my language.
Sweet! I guess I can be a little cynical about certain aspects of American culture. Hope I didn't come across too jaded though.. I just mean that I'm willing hold onto the "wait and see" mentality. For instance, I just purchased a few Clivia Miniata flower seeds. They won't even flower for 4 years! I'm excited, but it'll be well worth the wait I think, as I'm sure is the case for Bonsai.
In a way it's more vexing later on because due to the knowledge you have accumulated over time you tend to think "I should have...." Instead of "Oops, I didn't know that"
This is an interesting way to look at things. I like your attitude. Best to keep it real and be modest. This way we can always be learning.
[I mean those smilies in a good way.] Thank you very very much. I can honestly say that is the highest praise I can possibly imagine wrt bonsai. I mean "Nice tree" is one thing, Being one of the catalysts for inspiration is another thing entirely.
You're welcome!... Yup, that post of yours made definitely me say, "Wow, that is awesome! I want to try that! How do I get to where I can try that?"
Me too, That's what my fusing project is. I often say they are tougher than a 2$ steak.
Hehe... Nice. This is good to know. Because I'm sure I'll be pretty clumsy for a while.
That looks cool indeed, I surfed through the site [And looked at the trees in the background of the photos [Bonsai nerd here?...Yeah, Maybe ]
Some say A club is the best thing you can do. Sadly I have never had a local one.
That is definitely too bad that you don't have a club nearby. Perhaps you could start one some day?!...

My g/f and I went to Rosade Studio over the weekend! Friggin incredible! The guy has trees everywhere! We're seriously considering signing up for a beginner class. It's expensive ($135), but might be worth it to get an all day intensive like that. They even have visiting master classes that are only like $35 each! Not bad!
I am not scared , Keep 'em coming.
Awesome!... So then, I must say, what is this secret weapon that I haven't seen? I'm very curious! But if it's best to wait I can certainly do that.

More questions:
Went to a nursery over the weekend. They had A LOT of beautiful Serrisa Foetida (Tree of a Thousand Stars) trees there. Some flowering, some not. Some smaller than others. And they were inexpensive, (I think $4.75/ea.) Is this a good beginner tree?

I'm currently feeling stuck between the following trees as a first tree: 1-Ficus Benjamina, 2-Serrisa Foetida, and 3-Jade. I suppose my mind might change quite quickly and easily about all of that though as I continue to research.

I've read that the Jade can be very finicky about temperature, (likes 61 - 64 degrees) so I don't know if that'd be a good one as we launch into the warm season here.

I've read that the Serrisa doesn't like root pruning or to be moved much at all.

So far it seems like the Ficus might be the best suited to clumsy beginner hands. But maybe not?

Also, regarding soil:
I read a fairly detailed article outlining a way to use kitty litter as bonsai soil. It was by someone in the UK though, so they didn't have a US brand of comparable quality to the one they were using.

Is kitty litter an advisable medium to use in a bonsai soil mix, or is it a terrible idea? Though I realize it is dependent on the type of tree, I'm just not sure what all I should use as soil for my first tree, and what I should feed it.

Okay, well this turned out to be a fairly epic post, so I'm gonna sign off for now. I look forward to any info and/or opinions you have.

Thanks! :D
- LB

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

LittleBuddha,

My g/f and I went to Rosade Studio over the weekend! Friggin incredible!
Good move, a lttle inspiration can only help at this stage. I meant to mention Rosade's to you earlier but it slipped my mind and then later I saw that you had located it yourself. My apologies.
They had A LOT of beautiful Serrisa Foetida (Tree of a Thousand Stars) trees there. Some flowering, some not. Some smaller than others. And they were inexpensive, (I think $4.75/ea.) Is this a good beginner tree?
Some would say no, I don't grow them so I can't offer an informed opinion. If you're interested in them perhaps you can get one of the less expensive ones first and see how you do.
I've read that the Jade can be very finicky about temperature, (likes 61 - 64 degrees) so I don't know if that'd be a good one as we launch into the warm season here.
Not sure where this comes from but I have to disagree. Jades can tolerate a much wider temperature range than that. I feel pretty safe in saying that mine have been outside at anywhere from 50f to 90f. If you add that fact that they don't mind being on the dry side for days, or even weeks, you have a good plant for a novice. Having said that many would not consider them an ideal choice for bonsai as they are not woody. I grow them and enjoy them so don't let that deter you if you are interested.
I read a fairly detailed article outlining a way to use kitty litter as bonsai soil. It was by someone in the UK though, so they didn't have a US brand of comparable quality to the one they were using. Is kitty litter an advisable medium to use in a bonsai soil mix, or is it a terrible idea?
I have to advise that you proceed with extreme caution in this regard. That author suggests using a specific brand of kitty litter that may not be available in your location. Furthermore, a recent poster tried it and found it unsatisfactory. I can't recall the thread at the moment but if you search for "tescos or tedescos", I think that is the brand, or perhaps on "kitty litter" I'm sure you can locate the thread.
Though I realize it is dependent on the type of tree,
Not so much as all trees in pots require good drainage although you are correct in saying that the mix will vary by species.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

You and I have something in common , LOL... I think your going to enjoy your soon to be 'full blown' bonsai addiction. [There really is no other word for it.. ]

hehe... Indeed. I think I may already be annoying my g/f, and we don't even have a real Bonsai yet!
...LOL, Yeah, She most likely will laugh at you a bit also...Luckily you won't care. ;)
I see by the last sentence you speak my language.
Sweet! I guess I can be a little cynical about certain aspects of American culture. ..I feel ya man, ..I really do.
Hope I didn't come across too jaded though.. I just mean that I'm willing hold onto the "wait and see" mentality. For instance, I just purchased a few Clivia Miniata flower seeds. They won't even flower for 4 years! I'm excited, but it'll be well worth the wait I think, as I'm sure is the case for Bonsai.LOL, Plenty of time to practice those dance moves.. :) :lol:

This is an interesting way to look at things. I like your attitude. Best to keep it real and be modest. This way we can always be learning.
Absolutely, Even when you learn what not to do...It's still learning.
Sometimes you see people [Both in bonsai and elsewhere] that let what they "know" impede them from "learning new stuff".
Not everything will be applicable to your [or mine] situation but that doesn't mean it's not worth knowing.

Also, As a sign on my parents fridge [That is now yellow with age] says:
"Everybody is good for something, Even if it is only to set a bad example."
;)
[I mean those smilies in a good way.] Thank you very very much. I can honestly say that is the highest praise I can possibly imagine wrt bonsai. I mean "Nice tree" is one thing, Being one of the catalysts for inspiration is another thing entirely.
You're welcome!... Yup, that post of yours made definitely me say, "Wow, that is awesome! I want to try that! How do I get to where I can try that?"That project is literally so easy it could be a starting point for you :D... You are on the path already!
Me too, That's what my fusing project is. I often say they are tougher than a 2$ steak.
Hehe... Nice. This is good to know. Because I'm sure I'll be pretty clumsy for a while.LOL, As we all are man. No worries.
That looks cool indeed, I surfed through the site [And looked at the trees in the background of the photos [Bonsai nerd here?...Yeah, Maybe ]

That is definitely too bad that you don't have a club nearby. Perhaps you could start one some day?!...
lol.

My g/f and I went to Rosade Studio over the weekend! Friggin incredible! The guy has trees everywhere! We're seriously considering signing up for a beginner class. It's expensive ($135), but might be worth it to get an all day intensive like that. They even have visiting master classes that are only like $35 each! Not bad!
Yeah, When you see it done right
in person it is pretty amazing indeed. Aaaand, The more you know about the process it simply increases the awe IMO.
It's like a magic trick that becomes more impressive as you discover more about the truth of how it happens.
I am not scared , Keep 'em coming.

Awesome!... So then, I must say, what is this secret weapon that I haven't seen? I'm very curious! But if it's best to wait I can certainly do that.

Oh, I was just talking about Gnome - Cause he rocks 8) [Though he is far to modest to admit it [Expect a disclaimer on that ;)]
[He was in the garden all weekend and was too busy to reply on here.]

I'll get to the next bit in my next reply as I really must run a few errands.

In short I would say this

wrt Serissa: Some love 'em & some make 'em into kindling in record time..

It really does seem to work that way..:lol: Go ahead and grab a couple and see how they work for you. They are a bit touchy about root work though.

Jades being succulents are not actually traditional bonsai material... But get one anyway as they are easy {VERY} to propagate and I am not sure where you got those temps but they will survive far higher & a bit lower..

I know Gnome will agree that Jades are great fun... And you will have so many that you will be giving them away...LOL

Finally, Yeah get some ficus [1G pot] when the stock starts rolling.
If you have the room, Budget and inclination get all three. By all means
8)

If only one- Get the bucket of ficus- ah...Hell, Get a serissa also...:lol:

I am sure that Kitty litter article you speak of was on Bonsai4me- In america there is no KL suitable that I know of [It breaks down into a sloppy clay mess that is not what you want. The chemical deodorants in some KL is not good either.]

One inorganic component I have been using for several years is Arcillite - Which is Shultz aqua soil [The "soil" used in water gardens] It is essentially a smaller size of turface mvp. Both are made by the company "Profile" [Chemically identical- different package is all].

The aqua soil is easily available at any big box store but does need to be sifted to remove the fines.

WRT ferts- Use any balanced fert you are happy with [MG- 10-10-10 or 20-20-20...etc] It is good to have several ferts to use to mix it up a bit.

There is no such thing as 'bonsai fertilizer' [No tangible difference except the spelling on the label.]

More on soil components later [in-organic and organic] and ferts later as I do need to run.
Okay, well this turned out to be a fairly epic post, so I'm gonna sign off for now. I look forward to any info and/or opinions you have.
ha-HA 'epic'... A short story at best... Maybe Part one of a trilogy.. {Wait, It's way too late for that...}
:P :P ;)...:lol:

So much for this being " In short"

ynot

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Gnome & ynot,

Wow! Thanks for posting your great replies!..

Unfortunately I have to sign off for today so I'm not going to be able to type a worthy response at the moment. But I definitely wanted to acknowledge your fantastic posts!

Thanks so much for your time, advice and support! I'll definitely post some more tomorrow.

Best,
- LB

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

LiddleBudddha,
Gnome & ynot,

You're very welcome. I can tell by the context and the times, that I posted my response as Ynot was editing his, not an uncommon occurrence.
Oh, I was just talking about Gnome - Cause he rocks [Though he is far to modest to admit it [Expect a disclaimer on that ]
I was indeed re-potting over the weekend, temps are in the upper 70's here today. Thanks Ynot for the vote of confidence, I know very well, that you (and Randy as well), keep a close eye on me, and appropriately so. Checks and balances you know.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

LiddleBudddha,
Gnome & ynot,

You're very welcome. I can tell by the context and the times, that I posted my response as Ynot was editing his, not an uncommon occurrence.

Absolutely true [& LB your very welcome]... You would really think with all the editing I do that I would have caught the typo in the quote below...:oops: :lol:
Oh, I was just talking about Gnome - Cause he rocks [Though he is far to modest to admit it [Expect a disclaimer on that ]
I was indeed re-potting over the weekend, temps are in the upper 70's here today. Thanks Ynot for the vote of confidence, I know very well, that you (and Randy as well), keep a close eye on me, and appropriately so. Checks and balances you know.
The truth and nothing but my man...And Randy rocks too- No slight intended there at all...Geez...:roll: I am losing it...

Besides, I always figured it was you and Randy keeping an eye on me..:P

ynot

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response.. Work and home have both been a little hectic. But I've been researching what I can, when I can.

My rosemary is doing very well and I'm considering putting it in a large outdoor pot as soon as it warms up here, (southeastern PA). Sorry no recent pics yet. I think the Rosemary will do better in larger pot, at least for the warm season.

I think I'd rather use the small bonsai pot that the Rosemary is in for a different bonsai at some point in the future. Speaking of which, I had an idea last night regarding a certain tree. :!: :idea: :!: I will start a new topic post and see what you all think. :wink:

Thanks!
- LB

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”