SvetSad

Bad bonsai advice on Internet

I understand that there is some bad advice out there on the internet.
But there is so much information, how could a person look at few things and think "well majority says *this*, so then minority must be right"....I don't understand that....

Anyways while looking at bonsai videos on youtube, I came across a video that should be labled "this is exactly what you DON'T do!!!"
the more I watched, the more I was amazed by how much bad advice is in a 5 minute clip

:!: :!: :!: WARNING :!: :!: :!:
This video is full of bad advice

TomM
Greener Thumb

The world-wide-web is full of YAHOOS (pun intended) who will post anything about anything.

Plain and simple advice - Only rely on known professionals.

For bonsai videos (see my thread on this topic) stick with Graham Potter, Bjorn Bjornholm, Lindsay Farr or other top-notch names. If you want to add to my list - please do so with only quality people.

For bonsai in general the same holds true. Stick with professional bonsai growers - or at least people who you know and trust. Real caring individuals who will help you along the way.

There are thousands out there who ONLY want to sell something. No knowledge at all. No concern whether it lives or dies. Only the $$$$$. Fast buck - then "bye-bye". No understanding of your home 'environment' or solid advice for your growing conditions.

Mallsai. Roadside sales out of a van. Many on-line (no not all) businesses and "here today and gone tomorrow" vendors. This is a big reason that I promote bonsai clubs as I do. If nothing else they at least can steer you towards good reputable sources IN YOU AREA. Places where you can find reliable vendors close to home and can give you the best LOCAL advice and stake their reputation on it.

NOTE - LOCAL and IN YOUR AREA are key words. If these businesses give out BAD advice they will pay the price. No longer will the local bonsai club recommend them - they lose business big time!

manIK

Some people thrive on misinformation. It's been that way since we crawled out of the soup and one person knew something they didn't want another person to know.

Unfortunately the video has since been removed. Shame, I would have loved to see it.

koiboy01

Hi TomM,
I second everything you have said,especially about the bonsai dealers the ones you mentioned are at the very top of my list ,their videos are brilliant and informative.
koiboy01

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”