vdotson

When is a bonsai tree mature?

I took a cutting from my Ficus microcarpa 2 years ago. I repotted it last year because of its tremendours growth. Alhtough it is still growing well, the growth rate has slowed. Should I report it again this year? I'm thinking that it is still young enough to warrant yearly reportting.

ynot
Greener Thumb

vdotson wrote:I took a cutting from my Ficus microcarpa 2 years ago. I repotted it last year because of its tremendours growth. Alhtough it is still growing well, the growth rate has slowed.
I don't know anything about where you keep it but is it possible that the growth rate has declined due to less than optimal growing conditions [IE: Lighting, Humidity] inside?

This will often cause growth to slow down.
vdotson wrote:Should I report it again this year? I'm thinking that it is still young enough to warrant yearly reportting.
When it comes to repotting I think age is a less important criteria than if it needs it.

Is it rootbound or is there some reason you need to repot it again?

There's no sense in stressing the tree unnecessarily.

ynot

vdotson

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

My research had indicated that young bonsai should be repotted every year because the growth rates are much higher than mature bonsai. As such nutrients in the soil are being depleted at a faster rate.

The cutting is indeed growing faster than the "Mother" tree.

I assumed that the growth rate declined because it was in its second year as opposed to the first. I likened it to a human baby which triples its weight in its first year of life, but obviously doesn't in its second. The baby is still growing rapidly, just not as rapidly as the first year. Not saying I'm right.....

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

vdotson,

When you say your research indicated that young bonsai deplete the soil at a faster rate, technically, in bonsai, this cannot happen unless all the soil in the pot has been completely decomposed and there is no water or nutrient retention left or if the roots take up the majority of the pot.
This is because if you are using a proper soil, that is very coarse with little or no organic material in it, then the tree should be getting its nurtrients from the fertilizer that you give it. So if you have the proper soil and are fertilizing regularly then it should be ok for the tree to even become slightly rootbound.

Tom
Last edited by constantstaticx3 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ynot
Greener Thumb

vdotson wrote:
My research had indicated that young bonsai should be repotted every year because the growth rates are much higher than mature bonsai.
vdotson,
Did it say that they should be repotted every year? OR that they may require yearly re-potting?
Surely it mentions that this is on an 'as needed' basis.

Tom makes excellent points wrt bonsai soil-it's components- and the important role ferts play in bonsai.

As he mentions, Proper bonsai soil has little to no organic material in it and the nutrients are supplied by a fert regimen.

ynot
Last edited by ynot on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

vdotson

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

The research I was referring to was the Book Bonsai in Your Home: An Indoor Grower's Guide by Paul Lesniewicz. On page 193 he states " Young, fast growing plants should be transplanted every year; older and slower growing plants should be transplanted every two to three years" I take transplant = repotting. Perhaps I am misinterpreting his statement?

By the way, the Ficus is on a table by a window with a southern exposure. I live in Wisconsin and since daylight is limited in the winter, I supplement with florescent lighting. The Ficus, as all my bonsai, is in a humidity tray. There is a heat vent neat the table. I fertilize with rapeseed cakes.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Vdotson,

I too have read this statement from various sources and it has caused me a little confusion as well. I think that the confusion stems from the labels that we bestow upon our plants. Perhaps this statement could more accurately made by making a distinction between a young bonsai and a young tree in general.

Bonsai pots, that are so confining, are very different than a training or nursery pot. A young bonsai, in a bonsai pot, may indeed require yearly root pruning to remain vigorous. Whereas a more mature bonsai is not filling the pot as quickly.

A young tree in a somewhat larger training or nursery pot probably will not fill this larger pot nearly as quickly. For very young material, yearly re-potting may actually slow the development of the stock. The tree only just becomes established and here you come again and yank it out, forcing it to start all over again.

Remember that bonsai are not usually placed in a proper pot until they have already reached a certain level of development. Novices tend to rush this process and have trees in bonsai pots that really don't belong in them. This is of course a natural desire but must be overcome in order to develop quality bonsai.

These are just some thoughts of mine as I have tried to comprehend the same issue you raise, please don't take this as gospel. Here are some excellent articles that should help you make a more informed decision about re-potting.

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rootball.htm[/url]
[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rootprun.htm[/url]
[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overpot.htm[/url]

Norm

vdotson

Thank you for your time!

"Remember that bonsai are not usually placed in a proper pot until they have already reached a certain level of development. Novices tend to rush this process and have trees in bonsai pots that really don't belong in them. This is of course a natural desire but must be overcome in order to develop quality bonsai." - Did not know that. I am the typical novice who did put her tree in a bonsai pot. :roll: Oh well! Live and learn! Thank you for the education and the links!

rjj

I only have 3 plants in bonsai pots. One may deserve it. The others just so people won't ask where my bonsai are :lol:

I can have beautiful ficus in a bulb pan and people will walk right past it like it's not there to look at my "piece of junk" in a bonsai pot. Some how a pot makes it legit. :D

randy

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Vdotson,
Thank you for your time! Thank you for the education and the links!
You're welcome. When you are at any of those pages follow the link to the articles page for much more information. Some of it will not be relevant to you right now but take a close look at what is. I have probably learned more from that site than I did from years of struggling on my own.

Randy,
I only have 3 plants in bonsai pots. One may deserve it.
I'm in a very similar position. The vast majority of my material is in either training boxes/pots or in the ground. I also have more than a few seedlings that may have a future but are now just sticks in pots.

Norm

rjj

Gnome wrote:Randy,
I only have 3 plants in bonsai pots. One may deserve it.
I'm in a very similar position. The vast majority of my material is in either training boxes/pots or in the ground. I also have more than a few seedlings that may have a future but are now just sticks in pots.

Norm
Don't get me wrong, I love having twigs in pots, just not "bonsai" pots. Most are in bulb pans or rootmakers. :D

I like what the twigs or sticks become. Mainly cheap material usually with more potential than most of the junk sold as bonsai. Just moved about 20 zelkova seedlings from a communal pot I started them in last spring to individual pots. Probably put about half of them in the ground next spring.

randy

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”