gbhunter77

pine

I eliminated a lot of the plants I had. Should I even attempt pine. I'm not creative, I know what I want but not know how to get it. My club sucks. So is it worth it to try pine as bonsai, or a waste of time and money?

TomM
Greener Thumb

I would not advise pine for bonsai as it is among the most difficult of all the possibilities. Pines should be considered for intermediate to advanced students.

American pine species, such as Eastern white Jack pine and Ponderosa, have long needles. Bonsai would have to be very large to retain good proportion. That means that the tree would need to be old as they grow so slowly. Better pines, like Japanese Black, white or Red pines are far superior and far more expensive. Still they need to be large and old to make good bonsai material. A big investment and a solid background in bonsai culture and artistic talent is recommended for pine bonsai.

Scots pines from the mountains are a reasonable choice for anyone who is going to try pines for the first time. CAUTION - it still takes several years, good training and tons of patience to turn raw pine material into a convincing bonsai.

Sorry I don't have good news for you.
Now I have a question - you say "my club sucks". You have complained about this before. Hmmm. You never tell us about your club in the 'sticky' thread BONSAI SHOWS, EXHIBITS, AND CLUB ACTIVITIES. Could you do that please. Identify them with location, web-site and contact info. I would love to learn more about this specific group.

gbhunter77

Ihey do not have web page and I don't have contact info. I talked to Bonsai Boon and Mr. Meislik(ficus guru) both told me to stay away,the name of the club is 4 seasons bonsai.they have lame demonstrations and offer no help. I did find one person that is willing to take me on as a student for pine, but only if my attitude changes from " can't" to "will" given my err lack of gusto for life this is a tough assaigmnent. And I have to stop caring about hat others say , I have to like my plants or providepossitive input as to why. Sheesh the lesonss. He stated if I like it no one else matters, he stared as Long as I like then that's lesson is

TomM
Greener Thumb

If you have found a mentor that you really respect and can work closely with you will learn much about yourself as well as your plants. You will need to like both very much. You must find working with plants, trees and future bonsai fun and enjoyable. If it is not you will fail.

Keep us informed of your instruction. Share the classes and the experiences.

Soon I will be giving classes myself. Am trying to start a bonsai study group for beginners right here in my yard. Looking for fresh minds and folks who love both growing things and being creative with their materials.

gbhunter77

I wish I was not so far away I would join!! According to the gentleman that wants to teach me for first tries with no help I'm being unreasonable in examining my work. It not great or good but it a first try. He got upset about that. He also does not like the club is going.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Just to be fair to the club I find that they do have a web-site and am adding it to the sticky for club activities.

gbhunter77

Add away. I speak also fromexp there they run from a store and really push the super over priced goods. Its a shame really. But I don't shop there. Online was the way to go for me.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”