lurchs_grrl
Newly Registered

Oh dear, BUGS!!!

Hello first, I am glad to have found this forum! :D
Last weekend I purchased an outdoor bonsai for my guy. He has been moving it in and out and watering per the instructions we were given.
We are in Phoenix, AZ and the weather here has been all over the place and getting warmer every day.
This morning he tells me that the tree has bugs crawling all over it. When he watered it, the bugs all came down the trunk (maybe they were thirsty??? :roll: )
They are pretty tiny, appear to have 6 legs, no wings, a teardrop shaped body and are brownish with some white almost stripes....any ideas? How can we get rid of them w/o harming the tree?
Thank you in advance, LG

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

LG,

Hello and welcome. Try to determine what they are, this helps in dealing with them, try google. Also how much damage are they doing? I always like to take the least toxic approach first. Try to pick them off if you can. You can also try to dislodge them with a stream of water. A spray bottle with a little detergent can help too. [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11]Here[/url] is another section of our forum, perhaps someone there can offer you some more suggestion. Remember that this is not really a bonsai specific question. [url=https://www.einsteins-emporium.com/life/animal-info/insects/insect_identification.htm]This[/url] may help to identify the culprit.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Welcome LG,

Gnome has offered a route similar to what I suggest- More research.:)

One question:
lurchs_grrl wrote: Last weekend I purchased an outdoor bonsai for my guy. He has been moving it in and out and watering per the instructions we were given.
We are in Phoenix, AZ and the weather here has been all over the place and getting warmer every day.
As it is an "outdoor tree" ....Why are you bringing it inside?

This does not make sense to me. Can you explain a bit about what you mean and what the directions indicate wrt location & watering?

Species and pictures would be extremely helpful here.

ynot

tarian

my research sugests that they either are

black fly aka aphids one of the most comon
use a aphid and green fly pestaside it worked for me

or

vine weevils I don't know any more about them try a garden center

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”