JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Helen Johnson Bougainvillea... HELP !

Okay so I bought the Helen Johnson Bougainvillea, like I said in another post. I received it yesterday and it looks amazing ! Will post pictures later.
But I need some help. I don't know how to take care of this species whatsoever... So any help would be AMAZINGGG (:

Thanks in advance.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Justin, Before someone jumps in and says "Why did you buy something that you don't know how to take care of?", and someone will, I will offer this advice.

First go back and read your previous thread again. You should really check with people in your particular area first - like Erik, who sold it to you. He is a professional grower of bougainvilleas right there in South Florida.

I can go on about how I care for mine in upstate NY - but this is zone 4-b. Very different where you are. Here pests are no problem for bougies, cold weather is. So for me this is an indoor tree when the temps are below 50 but outdoors in full sun when it warms up enough. For you it is an outdoor tree, period.

I do know that fertilizing is a big issue. I feed them more than any other plants I have and I use 4 or 5 different products on a rotating basis. Lots of sun. Pinch back after flowering. Do not re-pot or root prune very often - they do not like this at all. They don't mind being a little root bound. These are generalities - you need basic 'Florida specific' advice. Not sure you will find it here.

Another issue is that you, being a student, may be moving around a bit. That brings its own questions. Now let's see who will jump in to help out.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Thanks Tom. I was waiting for someone to jump in saying why did I buy it if I don't know how to care for it. Well I bought it because 90% of my trees are ficus, so I wanted a little change. I contacted Erik yesterday but no response. All I did was put the tree outside where it can get full sun. And then I am visiting Erik this coming Monday, during spring break. I'll probably ask him for advice then, since he did have this tree in her personal collection for about a year. But anyways, I think my problem was that I was googling Helen Johnson Bougainvillea care, rather than just bougainvillea bonsai care. Apparently most bougainvilleas are the same and like the same things. So my knowledge is growing! (:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”