Jen126
Newly Registered

New Bonsai owner - help and advice appreciated to save tree

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read my post.
I was given a bonsai as a gift about three weeks ago and am completely clueless as to how I should look after it. The instructions on the box didn't tell me what type it was, just that it should be watered but not left to sit in water and to keep away from direct sunlight.
So I placed it on a worktop in my kitchen, next to a frosted glass window (probably completely wrong thing to do :oops: ). I'm concerned about the soil as it seems very compacted and dry, even thought I've been watering it every day, and the leaves were fine at first but now are starting to wither.
I had a nosy around your wonderful forum and have lots of ideas about what I should be doing, but I'd like some definate answers before going and doing the wrong thing and killing my tree. I've attempted to add pictures as per the instructions, but if it doesn't work, the link to the website is www.photobucket.com/JenMcL126

1. I think the tree I have is a Chinese Elm, is this correct?
2. Should I be keeping it outside? I thought it was an indoor tree, but am now pretty sure I'm mistaken. I've moved it to a sunny spot inside now, not sure if that's the right thing? I live in the Northeast of Scotland, if that helps.
3. Should I repot it to a bigger pot? Or would that stress it out too much right now?
4. Should I change the soil?
5. Is the white substance on the trunk (last pic) anything to worry about?

[img]https://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/JenMcL126/IMG00201-20120321-0728-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/JenMcL126/IMG00199-20120321-0727.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/JenMcL126/IMG00203-20120321-0728-2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/JenMcL126/IMG00200-20120321-0728.jpg[/img]

Any advice or suggestions would be very gratefully received! Thanks very much, Jen :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jen,

Welcome to the site. I don't have a definitive course of action for you but here are a few thoughts.
1. I think the tree I have is a Chinese Elm, is this correct?
I don't think it is a Chinese Elm but unfortunately I can't ID it. The condition of the foliage makes it difficult. It could also be a species I'm not familiar with.
2. Should I be keeping it outside? I thought it was an indoor tree, but am now pretty sure I'm mistaken. I've moved it to a sunny spot inside now, not sure if that's the right thing? I live in the Northeast of Scotland, if that helps.
Everything I grow goes outside during appropriate weather, tender species come in only when it gets cold. Since you don't have an ID yet, not to mention that it is has been acclimated to the indoors, I would not move it outside until the weather has settled.
3. Should I repot it to a bigger pot? Or would that stress it out too much right now?

4. Should I change the soil?
These two go hand in hand. A bigger pot is not always better, a lot will depend upon what you find during the re-potting process. I suspect that you will not exactly be overwhelmed by the quantity of (healthy) roots. Over-potting can lead to problems of it's own. It's always tough to suggest an emergency re-potting. even if it would be beneficial, it could also be harmful. As for the soil, bonsai growers generally insist upon free draining soil, so yes the soil can be greatly improved upon.
5. Is the white substance on the trunk (last pic) anything to worry about?
Could be mold or simply mineral accumulation from hard water. You are in a much better position to make that determination.
I'm concerned about the soil as it seems very compacted and dry, even thought I've been watering it every day, and the leaves were fine at first but now are starting to wither.
This might be the key to your problems. A dense soil is more difficult to properly saturate than a free draining one, just one of the reasons to use a quality medium. If you have been watering it every day and it is still dry you are likely not watering it adequately. Heavy soils often require more that one thorough watering in quick succession in order to ensure that water reaches the depths oft eh root-ball. Always water generously but then wait until water is required again. A little water often is the wrong approach.

If the soil is as dry as you say I would soak the tree in a basin of water for 15 minutes or so. Don't do this regularly though, it's a once time thing to make sure the soil is saturated.

Perhaps some others have additional suggestions.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”