Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Richard,

Do you have a creek bed nearby that is not contaminated by any road salts or farm runoff? You should easily be able to gather enough grit/small rocks to plant your tree in. I have done this for top dressing but see no reason that it could not be used as the bulk of your medium.

Screens and running water will enable you to size the rocks and remove the silt which is very important. I have used chopped peat moss that I collected as a component for some azaleas that I have. This can also be a part of your mix. If you can find any decomposing wood chips that may also help. Shoot for a particle size of 3-6 MM (I hope my metrics are correct).

You can leave it in what you have if you must but the longer you leave it the less I would want to re-pot it again soon. Did you pot it correctly or is this a temporary thing. Oh and by the way broom style trees are always planted vertically.

Check back in tonight if you wish. I, check in periodically. I'm sure we can come up with something. Think about the creek rocks this could work out really well for you.

Norm

Richard Gomm

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to go into town tomorrow, just remembered a shop that had a bag of Bonsai mix..... that will hopefully work till next time..... if the tree lives!

As for potting - I've placed it (vertically this time) and done what I can with the compost soil, and given it a good watering. Any hins on your idea of potting properly?

I'll star new thread for the roots, as I have pics and question on them that other newbies might find ueful too.

thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Richard,

What I meant by potting it properly: earlier you said
The best I could o for now was to dump it in some potting compost I had in the shed.
I was not sure you had actually taken the time to pot it or if you intended the potting compost as a temporary measure. I'll look at the other thread in a bit. Please remember that whatever product you choose it will, more than likely, need to be screened to remove the fines that will only clog everything up again. Here is a picture of the grit I was able to collect for free.

Norm
[url=https://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=creekrockscc8.jpg][img]https://img101.imageshack.us/img101/39/creekrockscc8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”