BENNY_DORM
Newly Registered

Misting

Good evening
I have two Portulacaria Afra bonsai type specimens. They are in a west facing window.Do I need to mist these plants. I am in Lancashire.
Best regards
John Morton

rjj

BENNY_DORM wrote:Good evening
I have two Portulacaria Afra bonsai type specimens. They are in a west facing window.Do I need to mist these plants. I am in Lancashire.
Best regards
John Morton
Hi John,

Misting a succulent is not a good idea. If it's not in a healthy growth phase or in good condition, it might fall apart on you.

Personally I'm not convinced misting is of value at all. Moisture attracts dust, so you end up with a dusty plant. Much like a sprinkle outdoors makes your car filthy if there is any wind. Misting will only raise humidity (if that's what you're trying to do) if you do it every 10 minutes or so.

randy

BENNY_DORM
Newly Registered

Thanks for the quick reply and advice.
John Morton

Bonsaimatt

but wouldn't non-misting negate the help it provides in the transpiration process? I guess I can understand why with succulents, but regular bonsai like it. I've noticed my weaker trees perk right up after a few mistings.

BTW, I think less than 10 mins would be better :) mist goes away really fast.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Bonsaimatt wrote:but wouldn't non-misting negate the help it provides in the transpiration process? I guess I can understand why with succulents, but regular bonsai like it. I've noticed my weaker trees perk right up after a few mistings.

BTW, I think less than 10 mins would be better :) mist goes away really fast.
Matt,
This is why a humidity tray is often recommended, It does a better job of raising the ambient relative humidity over a longer period of time.

Perhaps your weaker trees need trays?
[-Or new soil actually-- Why are they weak? ]

Over-misting can lead to a soil surface that has other problems due to constant moisture.

ynot

Bonsaimatt

No problems now, just a few times here and there where'd I forget to water so they'll wilt a little.

I know about the soil thing, it gets white stuff built up on the nebari. Other stuff happens too, but thats the thing I see the most. I have a Ficus "kiki" that has that issue right now, all my other plants don't. I got it last year but didn't see that it had some white powder mildew/fungus stuff on it when I got it. I sprayed with fungicide and all but the roots went back to normal. The white on the roots is now, only at the soil surface touching the nebari roots. It doesn't go over the root only at the soil line directly touching the root. Recommendations?

I was thinking maybe a tooth brush scrubing with fungicide should do it. But then I might get new buds to grow and break at the roots right? Which I don't want, I know.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Matt,

About your Ficus; it sounds like you may have an overly wet condition. You've had it for a year now, have you re-potted it yet? What is the growing medium like? Mostly peat or other finely textured material? If you re-pot into a coarser medium this may help to solve the problem you are experiencing.

Norm

Bonsaimatt

Well your advice will do. I need to get more soil mix before I repot him, he's not in good bonsai soil....the stuff he came in. I didn't have any soil then either. But I'll do that we'll see if that helps....thanks dude.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”