LARRY1
Newly Registered

bonsai beginner (yet another one)

This is my first post and I would like to start by saying Hello to everyone on the Forum

I am an absolute beginner, even to the point of not currently having a Bonsai tree at all, and this brings me to my question. I live in London and I would like to buy two or three Bonsai trees and would be extremely grateful for any advice as to what type of tree or trees to buy, what age the trees should be. As I am a beginner (with two young boys) I think that maybe it should be something quite robust and hardy in order for it to survive my initial attempts at caring for it. I would like to keep the trees inside but from reading some of the posts I understand that this might not be the best path to follow (but then again, what do I know), any advice you can give me about what trees to buy, where to buy them and where best to keep them will be greatly appreciated :)

Larry

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Larry,

Hello and welcome to the Helpful Gardener, I hope that your stay here will be fruitful. I would like to commend you for asking for advice before you buy, far too often we get people here who have purchased a tree and then seek advice, putting the cart before the horse.

I would like to keep the trees inside but from reading some of the posts I understand that this might not be the best path to follow (but then again, what do I know)
There are suitable trees for indoor culture but even those species that tolerate being kept inside will benefit greatly from a vacation outside during the summer. Other trees belong outside year round, so the first thing you need to do is clarify in your own mind what you want from bonsai. Will you be able to provide a spot outside for your trees?

Please don't rush into anything, the season is just beginning and there will be much time this year to make your choice. As far as how old a tree you purchase, consider this; either you purchase a tree that has some years on it and pay a little more or you purchase a young tree and you put the years into developing it. Again it all comes down to your preference.

I would like to suggest that you purchases at least one tree that is a little more developed. This will give you something to work on to develop your skills while your more immature trees put on some growth.

I must go now but I'm sure some others will come along an offer some advice. Give some thought to my questions and get back to us.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Larry wrote:
Norm

Many thanks for replying so promtly, your advice about getting at least one fairly established tree to work on whilst having some other smaller trees to bring along at the same time is certainly sound advice which I think I will go with. In my searching the web this evening four different types of tree have cropped up a few times, Ficus Retusa, Carissa randiflora, Ficus Burtt-Davyii and Portulacaria Afra and I`m wondering how these will fair with our notorious British weather. Do you think a spread of these four will be a good starting point for me? I have also realised that whilst my original intention was just to have some pretty house plants, an outdoor growing base is essential and I am making plans this as I type. I would however still like to have at least a couple of trees to keep in the house maybe just over the winter months and anything you can suggest for this will be greatly appreciated.

Larry
Larry,

You have listed two Ficus species/varieties, I might start with only one at first. I am only personally familiar with Ficus benjimina 'Mini Lucie' I think the next Ficus I will try is F. salicifolia. Here is a picture of one.
[url]https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/FicusSal.html[/url]
The Portulacaria is a succulent with fleshy stems and leaves. Bonsai are generally made with woody species. This does not mean that you should not grow them, I do.

These species will need to be brought inside for the winter so they will satisfy your desire to have something for the winter. You will most likely require some supplemental lighting but this can come later. I don't know anything about the other species that you mentioned.

If you are looking for a deciduous species I am partial to Chinese Elms or perhaps a Zelkova. The Chinese Elm is a subtropical and some growers keep them inside over the winter as well but I prefer to keep mine as deciduous, over-wintering it in a cold situation.

Norm

tarian

hi one thing would interest you is a book (the coplete guide to bonsai by colin lewis) wihitch should satisfy you'r need

LARRY1
Newly Registered

Thanks for that Tarian, I`ll scout around for a cheap one.

Larry :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”