SvetSad

Traveling with a bonsai?

I am going on a trip to San Francisco next week, and while there, I would like to go to a bonsai nursery. So if I come across a tree that I like, would it be feasible to buy it and take it back with me onto a plane? of course I would try to get it on the last day and my total travel time will be aproximatelly 7 hours.

And does anyone know of good nuserys I should check out?

TomM
Greener Thumb

I would think that the handling/packing would be the main issue, along with transport through screening, transport/taxi and possible flight delays.

Intriguedbybonsai

Most states have strict agriculture laws which prohibit certain plants from leaving, or entering the state. You might want to check with the airport, or airline before you make an investment on a tree. If possible you could just mail it to yourself to skip all of the airport screening, or baggage handlers roughing up the box.

I went to San Francisco 2 years ago, and I saw that there are a lot of shops in Chinatown, or Japantown that sell "mall-sai" junipers. I consider those to be dinky, and for beginners who have not yet embraced the art.

If you're a more serious hobbyist, then you could check out...

Katsura Garden
1825 Post St
(between Webster St & Fillmore St)
San Francisco, CA 94115
Neighborhoods: Lower Pac Heights, Japantown, Pacific Heights
(415) 931-6209

There are definitely more nurseries in the area, but they are mostly outside of SF, so I don't think a 7 hour travel time would help.

SvetSad

Thanks I'll check that out.

And I will definetly call the airline and find out what their policy is, if I decide to buy a tree.
And I thought the agricultural restrictions applied to taking things to other continents or countries, but, I will also check on that before the purchase.

I was just wondering how stressfull the trip itself would be to a tree, it can't be worse than getting it shipped.

I guess I just have the newbe syndrome, the more research I do the more I want a new tree :D well actually I want a lot of trees :-()

Intriguedbybonsai

SvetSad wrote: And I thought the agricultural restrictions applied to taking things to other continents or countries, but, I will also check on that before the purchase.
No, it applies to the states as well. California, being a huge agricultural state, has strict laws on what produce, or plants can enter or leave the state.

SvetSad

good to know :)
thank you for the info :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”