tifa

Hello Everyone, New Tree!

Hi everyone kind of new here and to bonsai.
Ive just been bought a new tree by way of an apology.
Its much bigger that the three I had and ive done a re pot as it needed it.

Can someone tell me how long to leave it before I can leaf prune? As its a bit messy !

TomM
Greener Thumb

New trees are just that - new, and the temptation to "play with it" can be torturous. BUT they should be left alone to adjust to the NEW home, the new environment. I advise that you let it acclimate for a season or two. Who cares if it is a "bit messy"? - unless you are putting it into an exhibit!

Learn all you can about your tree species. Study your tree. It should show good strong growth before you begin to style it.

tifa

Thanks TomM.
I have had a chinese elm before, although thanks to a friend I'm trying despratley to revive it !

The new one was in desperate need of a repot. Its alot bigger too.

Should I let it settle for a few weeks ,or more now ?
I'm not bothered about it looking messy but trying to explaine that to my bf is a different thing ! :lol:

Thanks
tifa :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

tifa,

As Tom mentioned a newly potted tree should be allowed a period of recovery. What's the rush? If you wish to do some light pruning, this summer may be an appropriate time frame. If you are talking about a total defoliation you should take extreme care, this should only be considered for an established tree. I would probably forgo defoliation until next summer (2013) allow the tree this year to grow and become established.

Norm

tifa

Thank you. I would want to do just some light pruning thats all.
Just to get it into shape nothing more.

Thank you for your advice, I will leave it, as you say, and let it settle in.

Thanks again

Tifa
:)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”