gbhunter77

pixie what to do heavy pic

[img]https://www.angelfire.com/on3/shellandpaulsphoto/bonsai/pixie.jpg[/img]

I could cut this one all the way to the bottom there is a canopy developing there and keep it very small. Or I could spread out some of the branches remove bottom ones and create a loose broom style which would tighten up.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

what kind of tree plant is that?
IMHO it doesn't have much trunk thickness or nebari which is in sharp contrast with the size of its leafs. If you chop it all the way down down the trunk growth will be slowed and it won't be in porportion with the pot size. Unless you just mean half way down vertically.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

pixie miniature bougainvillea.

gbh here's an inspirational image for you, what your pixie can aspire to :)

[img]https://www.artofbonsai.org/art-of-bonsai-awards/2009/aob_042_BOUGAINVILLEA.jpg[/img]

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Regarding the picture above, that is a very nice specimen. But anyways, your bonsai's trunk seems to be maybe a 1/3" or maybe less. To get it to its full potential, maybe consider planting it in the ground when it's the best time for pixies to grow, which would probably be spring. The trunk will thicken, then more branches will develop, along with more foliage. Then you can prune and wire the tree as you like so it can grow into whatever you want it to look like. Some people may say not to do this, but over the last year, two of my bonsai have done amazing things being in the ground. Hope this helps!

TomM
Greener Thumb

Justin - WELCOME BACK!

You're in Florida, gbhunter is in Michigan. His bougainvillea 'Pink Pixie' would freeze in the ground where he lives. Where you live it would thrive and get huge. Mr Hunter has the same climate as I do in CNY and we have the same problem growing tropical bonsai like bougies.

He just needs many years of good health, vigorous growth, heavy fertilizing, appropriate up-potting, proper pruning, more fertilizing, and did I mention many more years - like 10-15 or so.

I love my bougies and enjoy them more every new season. Can't wait until they can go back outdoors again. Probably mid-April or so.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

THANKS ! (:
I cannot believe that flew right over me...
Obviously I should of known better that if you put it there in your climate, every part of it would freeze...
Hard to remember these things. :P
But anyways, gbh, take Tom's advice with the good health, the growth, fertilizing, potting, pruning, and the many years of it.
Just bought my own bougie, so hopefully it will come out well in my climate.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”