Jeffrey-777

Bonsai Eating Cat!

How do you stop a Cat from eating a Bonsai, aside from removing the tree
from the spot where it is use to?

Jeff :(

P.S. No I will not get rid of my Cat or my Tree. :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Jeffrey-777,

Welcome to the forum,
I have never had this problem as I only allow one of what you mentioned inside my house.

Is there any reason that moving the tree is not an option? It would be best if it were out of the cats reach. Limiting the cats access to the room it's in is an option also.

Since this is in fact a cat behavior issue [and the bonsai is the victim here], It may be far more effective to ask this question on one of the larger cat forums.

Good luck to your bonsai.

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

Hi, I don't have cats but I will make a few suggestions that may help. Perhaps this problem is location specific. In other words has your tree displaced the cat from a favorite spot on a windowsill. Maybe providing an alternative such as catnip would help divert the animals attention from your tree. And finally, check your pet store for products that may deter the cat from molesting your tree. Make sure that the product you choose is plant safe. It is best to try it on a small area of the plant first. Perhaps some others can help with different ideas, and please let us know if you discover something that works.

Norm

Sercee

Hi Jeff!

I'm new to Bonsai's myself, I have a little Ficus that I seem to be doing okay with.

I have two cats and one of them I like to call a vegetarian - leave the chicken out and it's fine, leave the spinach out and... uh oh! Anyway, She nibbles at my bonsai as well. The only way I've found that works for sure is to keep the tree in a closed room. I've also found with other potted plants I've had over time that orange zest (prick it with a fork a few times to release some of the juice) left in or around the pot deters her pretty well (unless she REALLY wants it!). Apparently you can also make a paste of alum and water and rub that on the lower leaves of your plants. Most animals will supposedly nibble once then not come back, but that one didn't work with my cat: she's too stubborn!

Anyway, good luck and if you find something that works I'd love to hear it!

Sercee

Newt
Greener Thumb

How about giving kitty it's own munching garden? Lots of ideas here.
https://www.perfectpaws.com/plant.html

Newt

Bonsaimatt

own little garden....Thats what I was thinking.

Buy a plant that your cat will like more, like catnip or somthing, offer that for a while and your cat might think that since the catnip tastes better then your bonsai, then the bonsai isn't cool to eat. Think about solveing your issue like your cat is a def, mute, child, human. That will give you the right approch. Oh and cats like chewing on long grass N' stuff too, helps them puke. Offer some of that and your kitty might leave your bonsai alone aswell. Thats all I got for now. Just try somthing, if don't work, try somthing else...you'll have to get the combo for the lock some time. GL

Jeffrey-777

Thanks to everyone who wrote.
Sorry for the late response. Was a little under the weather lately.
I've since moved the tree to a better spot. The leaves are starting to grow back slowly.
A friend told me that the saliva of the cat is the most damaging part of all.
He said the saliva kills the small fine branches and leave stems. If this is true I'm not sure, but somehow seems to make sense. He said to hold the tree upside down and wash it gently with slow running warm water. Seems to have worked. Like I said the leaves are growing back slowly.
It just happend to be the same tree from my post on "Winter Fertilization."
Again, Thanks for your input.

See ya on the Forum,

Jeff

:)

rjj

Jeffrey-777 wrote: He said to hold the tree upside down and wash it gently with slow running warm water.
:)
If you can do that, you have major compacted soil and should consider repotting.

Jeffrey-777

@rjj
My tree is only about 7 inches tall, and in a small pot.
It's quite easy to handle. My friend said to wash it as best as possible.
Upside down may not have been for me the best way to phrase it, however it seems to work. He also said I could wash it in the tub with the shower hose.
I can do that in the sink just as well just tilting it to the side a little.
Repotting is the next step.
Jeff :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

Jeff,

Even with the best of intentions, Friends advice on bonsai matters can be...Shall we say 'misguided' on occasion.

Something to consider. ;)
ynot

Jeffrey-777

@ ynot,
Very true!
O.K. granted the saliva theorie seems a little far fetched,but the washing seemed to have worked, and I can live with that.
Thanks for your comment.

Jeff :wink:

Bonsaimatt

I think ynot is talking about the fact that; one, yeah washing upside down and not having soil go everywhere must mean it's root bound, and time for a repot. And two; washing in the tub would mean that soil "WILL" go into the drain, if you want to redo the pipes in the bathroom cuz they get clogged up with soil then by all means...go ahead :). Other wise, submerge the plant in a big enough bucket to cover the soil (but not the whole tree) for about 15mins or until the bubbles stop coming out.

If your going to wash the leaves just a simple straight down from the top should do. Whatever is in the leaves is, more than likely, already in the soil. No sence in avoiding whats already there. But a sidelike spray will do too. Just don't "power wash it" give it a "gentle shower" (thats a setting on most garden hose attachments). That should do fine.

P.s. I've never heard of cat spit being deadly to branches and stuff. I would think that if the cat chewed it...the chewing part does the damage that kills. Although on the other hand....It's something that "could" be true. GL- matt

Jeffrey-777

Turning the tree upside down is in this case a little misunderstood.
Germans tend to say "umdrehen" that could mean "tilt" or "turn upside down", "turn on the side" depending how you interpret it in the conversation. Like I said my tree is quite small and easy to handle. ( Yes it does need repotting)
I was more worried that I would lose the tree. The theorie of saliva killing the tree is unrealistic in my opinion, the teeth are the danger here. At first you take what advice you can get. It's growing leaves again so I'm happy.
I've got a few pics to download, before/after. Then I'll post them.

Jeff 8)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”