ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra26 wrote:oh oops. these baskets are much smaller than I thought. I thought they were like 12" in dia. or bigger. thought they were like buckets...
Some of them absolutely are larger.

Keep in mind that a 12" square pot is 1728 cubic inches of soil as opposed to one [Average malsai pot] sized 6x5x2.5 which is 75 cubic inches. The increase in available soil volume for the roots to colonize is more than twenty three fold. It does not take a massive increase in pot size to increase the soil volume.

Generally, The holes in the side are the same size no matter the basket size.

The holes in the side do vary in size between the different manufactures though.

Tom,

Are you saying people actually read the posted links??? :P :P ;):)...Who knew?;)

Yep, Good pine info there for sure [And the links too].

I am very happy to hear you are continuing to seek info, [img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/froehlich/biggrin3.gif[/img]Way to go!:)

ynot

Gnome
Mod

Petra,

Yes these are not terribly large but neither are the seedling intended for them. As Ynot has noted the potting medium is coarse enough that there is no problem with leakage.
[url=https://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=comparisonas4.jpg][img]https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/120/comparisonas4.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Are you saying people actually read the posted links??? ...Who knew?
Yes I read every link that is given to me, the internet is a great source of info for bonsai. I like to read anything that has to do with bonsai, every bit of info is helpful. I don't understand why other people who post here don't read the links that are given to them, after all they are asking for help aren't they?

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:
Are you saying people actually read the posted links??? ...Who knew?
Yes I read every link that is given to me, the internet is a great source of info for bonsai. I like to read anything that has to do with bonsai, every bit of info is helpful.
I wish everybody did ! :)
constantstaticx3 wrote: I don't understand why other people who post here don't read the links that are given to them, after all they are asking for help aren't they?

Tom
Brother, You are preaching to the choir :!:- It's very obvious when that happens also.

Gnome, We are kinda hijacking your basket thread so feel free to delete any [or any portion] of my posts if you feel the need.

ynot

Will Heath
Newly Registered

I have personally been using pond baskets for years and I swear by them. They are also called aquatic planters and you can find them at times in the large square sizes at Lowes, Home depot, or other box stores. Buy in the fall and you can pick up 12" x 12" baskets for a buck apiece.

The purpose of course is for developing the fine feeder roots we need for survival in a bonsai pot, the screened sides air prune the roots causing back growth of finer roots.

Will Heath

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”