Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Pond baskets.

Yesterday I received an order of pond baskets that I intend to use to pot up some Scots Pine seedlings that I started last year. I just thought that I would show one so that those of you who are not aware of this technique could take a look.
[url=https://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pondbasketsdn9.jpg][img]https://img237.imageshack.us/img237/70/pondbasketsdn9.th.jpg[/img][/url]
The advantage of this technique is twofold. Firstly, it provides the excellent drainage that is so important for developing bonsai, particularly Pines. Secondly, when new rootlets emerge from the holes in the pots they die back, this in turn encourages new roots to emerge from deeper inside the pot. The idea is to promote a fibrous, ramified root system that will be beneficial later in the life of the tree.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote:Yesterday I received an order of pond baskets that I intend to use to pot up some Scots Pine seedlings that I started last year. I just thought that I would show one so that those of you who are not aware of this technique could take a look.
Yep, You have to love the pond baskets!
Especially at a dollar or two each [Far cheaper in bulk]. 8)
Gnome wrote:...it provides the excellent drainage that is so important for developing bonsai,
It goes without saying...Yet, Here I go: Provided you have a proper potting medium.

I just wanted to add that.

I hope people realize just how excellent of an idea this is.

Thanks Gnome

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ynot,
Yep, You have to love the pond baskets!
Especially at a dollar or two each [Far cheaper in bulk].
Yes, these are fairly small and at .69c ea. very reasonably priced.
It goes without saying...Yet, Here I go: Provided you have a proper potting medium.
Today I began preparing my potting medium for these little Pines. The planned medium is a 50/50 mix of lava rock and Haydite. This will be my first season with anything in a 100% inorganic medium. I also have a Juniper that will get potted in a similar mix. I am looking forward to the upcoming re-potting, getting tired of winter.

Norm

tarian

firstly hi
waw great idea since I have loads of tree's potless(in window pots)
I'm going to get some asap

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tarian,

Hello,
waw great idea
Yes it is but I can't take credit for it. Other growers have been using this technique for years now. I can remember reading about a similar idea in an old Organic Gardening magazine that described potting tree seedling in open ended cylindrical shaped containers for similar reasons.

Look to pet/pond supply houses for these in various sizes round and square. If you can find them, inexpensive plastic colanders can also be used.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Yes this technique is also used for the same reason here...
https://www.bonsaikc.com/seedlings2.htm

Tom

rjj

Norm,

I use a growing pot called a Rootmaker in 1 & 3 gallon sizes that does about the same thing. Creating a finer root system much closer to the trunk and not having roots spiral around the pot is very important for healthy pot culture.

randy

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Randy,

I've read others mention them before but have never seen one up close. I take it there is something about their internal construction that prevents spiraling roots. Do you have a link regarding them that we could all take a look at? Thanks.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome,

[url=https://www.rootmaker.com/]This[/url] may be what Randy refers to, After a quick look at it I would say the concept looks sound.

It has much in common with the pond basket idea.

constantstaticx3,

I am glad you are familiar with Chris Johnstons' website! I have a lot of respect for him.
[img]https://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/happy/14.gif[/img]

ynot

rjj

ynot wrote:Gnome,

[url=https://www.rootmaker.com/]This[/url] may be what Randy refers to, After a quick look at it I would say the concept looks sound.

It has much in common with the pond basket idea.

constantstaticx3,

I am glad you are familiar with Chris Johnstons' website! I have a lot of respect for him.
[img]https://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/happy/14.gif[/img]

ynot
Yes, that's the pot. When the girls get in from California tonight with my camera, I take a couple good photos to show you what a great pot it is. That's the growing pot you see all of my rough material in before they get moved to bulb pans.

Actually the pond basket idea has much in common with the rootmaker. :lol: The rootmaker is after all designed for this specific purpose by one of the most respected and reputable men in this century when it comes to producing quality plants commercially.

ynot
Greener Thumb

rjj wrote:
That's the growing pot you see all of my rough material in before they get moved to bulb pans.
I'd say it works! 8) I have loudly and publicly proclaimed my love for the root systems you show, And I am not ashamed..:lol:;)

ynot

Petra26
Cool Member

um, with the openings so big on these baskets, how do you prevent all the soil from falling out. especially if you are trying to fill it and watering it? :?::shock::?:

ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra26 wrote:um, with the openings so big on these baskets, how do you prevent all the soil from falling out. especially if you are trying to fill it and watering it? :?::shock::?:
Simple, Proper bonsai soil is nowhere near small enough to go through the holes in a {IE} water pond basket.

[ I refer to {As I often preach;)} particle size-It is a large course medium]

ynot

Petra26
Cool Member

oh oops. these baskets are much smaller than I thought. I thought they were like 12" in dia. or bigger. thought they were like buckets...

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

ynot,

Yes your actualy the one that gave me the link and it is very helpful and informative. I suggest anyone who is going to grow pines to read that over and over, I did. Also, on the site it give you a link to another site with even more information its worth taking a look at.

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra26 wrote:oh oops. these baskets are much smaller than I thought. I thought they were like 12" in dia. or bigger. thought they were like buckets...
Some of them absolutely are larger.

Keep in mind that a 12" square pot is 1728 cubic inches of soil as opposed to one [Average malsai pot] sized 6x5x2.5 which is 75 cubic inches. The increase in available soil volume for the roots to colonize is more than twenty three fold. It does not take a massive increase in pot size to increase the soil volume.

Generally, The holes in the side are the same size no matter the basket size.

The holes in the side do vary in size between the different manufactures though.

Tom,

Are you saying people actually read the posted links??? :P :P ;):)...Who knew?;)

Yep, Good pine info there for sure [And the links too].

I am very happy to hear you are continuing to seek info, [img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/froehlich/biggrin3.gif[/img]Way to go!:)

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Petra,

Yes these are not terribly large but neither are the seedling intended for them. As Ynot has noted the potting medium is coarse enough that there is no problem with leakage.
[url=https://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=comparisonas4.jpg][img]https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/120/comparisonas4.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Are you saying people actually read the posted links??? ...Who knew?
Yes I read every link that is given to me, the internet is a great source of info for bonsai. I like to read anything that has to do with bonsai, every bit of info is helpful. I don't understand why other people who post here don't read the links that are given to them, after all they are asking for help aren't they?

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:
Are you saying people actually read the posted links??? ...Who knew?
Yes I read every link that is given to me, the internet is a great source of info for bonsai. I like to read anything that has to do with bonsai, every bit of info is helpful.
I wish everybody did ! :)
constantstaticx3 wrote: I don't understand why other people who post here don't read the links that are given to them, after all they are asking for help aren't they?

Tom
Brother, You are preaching to the choir :!:- It's very obvious when that happens also.

Gnome, We are kinda hijacking your basket thread so feel free to delete any [or any portion] of my posts if you feel the need.

ynot

Will Heath
Newly Registered

I have personally been using pond baskets for years and I swear by them. They are also called aquatic planters and you can find them at times in the large square sizes at Lowes, Home depot, or other box stores. Buy in the fall and you can pick up 12" x 12" baskets for a buck apiece.

The purpose of course is for developing the fine feeder roots we need for survival in a bonsai pot, the screened sides air prune the roots causing back growth of finer roots.

Will Heath

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”