the collecter

Indoor bonsai

I've collected trees from the wild so all my trees are outside and do best there...but I'd like a tree that is able to stay indoors all year long.

If any one has any suggestions, or pictures or something can you please post it

thanks

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

the collecter,

There is actualy no such thing as a completely indoor tree. Tropical trees, like a ficus, are kept indoors for the winter but as soon as the weather gets warm they go right back outside where they like it. There are plenty of trees that are sutible for this like citrus trees and tropical cherry trees. I wont bother to list them all because this post would never end. Try a google search on tropical bonsai trees to get some ideas.

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Collector,

While it is possible to keep tropicals indoors all year if you have no other choice, I would always lean toward a period outside during the summer if at all possible. The book "Bonsai in your home" by Paul Lesniewicz (ISBN 0-8069-0781-9) deals with many species that can be grown indoors.

Some of the more common indoor trees would be Ficus, Fukien Tea, Serissa and Jades. There are of course many others.

If you have not been to [url=https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html]Bonsai Hunk[/url] it is one of the best sites for indoor culture, particularly Ficus. Jerry uses specialized lighting to provide adequate lighting for his indoor collection.

Norm

rjj

Collecter

Some good advice here. Ficus are to me the easiest plant trained as bonsai that tolerates indoor conditions.

When I keep some things in the house over the winter, it's kept on the dry side trying to emulate a dry season many tropicals get in habitat. Not a lot of leggy growth because of low light conditions, mainly a rest period getting ready for the growing season.

Others like pushing plants and using light to get growth year round. Just depends on what you like to do.

Good luck

randy

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”