rookehead
Newly Registered

3 month old bonsai - white mold

Hi,

I have had my bonsai for 3 months now, after about 1 month all the leaves fell off then all of a sudden new larger leaves started growing in all directions. I trimmed it down a bit and now the leaves on the branches have kind of grown back. although it doesn't look at good as when I first got it.
In the last few week though I can seen a white mold/fungi growing on the top of the soil.
I water the Bonsai each day (ish) maybe every other and put it in the sink once a week to suck water up the roots.

Can you tell me if I am doing anything wrong?

Thanks

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure there is a FAQ here that talks about how to test your soil for needing water.

Watering by rote (hourly daily weekly etc) almost never works.

Big leaves is a tree struggling with either being cut back too much or in a too low light level.

I am probably going to fail as I write this, in not sounding scolding, please be serene in the fact I want you and your tree baby to enjoy every success.

You can either play catch-up and follow behind each misery your tree encounters, with some research. Or You can research your trees needs afirmatively. and start to get on front of what your tree needs.

Between sites like here, and its FAQ, and what your local library can supply you for free, you likely have a winter or two of reading in front of you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

everything tom said. but daily watering + extra in the sink is almost certainly too much and mold/fungus on the soil is almost certainly a sign that the soil is staying too moist.

Beyond that no one can tell you anything without knowing what kind of tree you have. You do not have a bonsai. Bonsai is an art form, like painting is an art form, it is the process. You have a tree, which is either a juniper, chinese elm, or some other kind of tree. What your tree needs, depends very much on what kind of tree it is.

Pictures always help!

We don't actually have FAQ's here, but we do have a really nice Bonsai Learning Forum and Library. This thread in it is a beginning introduction to what you need:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479

rookehead
Newly Registered

Thanks for the links and advice.

Don't worry I know how ill informed I sound and can only imagine how frustrating it is.

How do I upload images by the way?[/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Read New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members, it gives detailed instructions for how to post pictures here.

But theoretically Webmaster is going to be changing it soon so that you can upload pix directly from your computer to here, hasn't happened yet.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Well long ago there were real heated arguments (to the point of fist fights) in some bonsai circles over whether it was ok to coppice a tree, or to grow a tree from seed in a pot exclusively.

In order to get to a fun donnybrook, we need a lot more folks who can keep their trees adaquate to its needs.

T' other Tom and I wanna be able to make side bets over the next "Tanuki Vs Phoenix graft" rumble.

Levity aside, if your tree is worthy of loving, its worthy of some research.

TomM
Greener Thumb

We had world famous founder of INTERNATIONAL BONSAI, and friend, William Valavanis for a lecture and demo at Hamilton College, Clinton, NY today. You may have noticed this event listed in the sticky thread for club shows and activities above. For us it was huge.

Bill told us many things which apply to all bonsai admirers, novices, students and masters. He listed six essential points which are extremely important to the health and well being of ALL bonsai. At the very top of this list is WATERING. So basic but all so important!

Before you begin to learn about light, temperature, soil, fertilizing and pests you must know about proper watering and the water needs of your trees. Until you do you are not going to grow vigorous trees.

So please take the time to get the basics down. You should almost never soak a potted bonsai in the sink or a tub from the bottom up. A contributor of ROOT ROT - the number #! killer of little trees.

I will start a new thread soon on proper watering techniques. I hope you guys and gals will take this seriously because we see all too many cases here of poor watering / drainage situations and the sad results.

gbhunter77

If inside then ventilation is needed a fan works great for me. If its in a sunny window the sunlight should get rid of the mold. I had this issue as well ventilation worked perfectly. A fan in my case.

rookehead
Newly Registered

thanks

here are some pics

[img]https://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r530/rookehead/?action=view&current=IMG_5797.jpg[/img]

[img]https://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r530/rookehead/?action=view&current=IMG_7423.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

your pix didn't come through. In photobucket, all you have to do is go the bottom box where it says IMG code. Click on that to copy it then paste it in here. You don't have to use our Img button because that coding is already built in to their code.

[img]https://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r530/rookehead/IMG_5797.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r530/rookehead/IMG_7423.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

rookehead,

To follow up on your original queries, your two biggest issues are the watering 'schedule' and low light levels. You've already gotten some advice on watering so I'll leave that alone. Many trees that are promoted as indoor bonsai are really at a disadvantage in that environment. Probably the biggest issue is lighting, our homes are really much too dim for most trees to really thrive. This is why you are experience weak, lanky growth.

Once the weather warms it will greatly improve your trees health if you are able and willing to keep it outside in good sun. Lacking that, and even in the short term, supplemental lighting will really help. This could be as simple as fluorescent lights kept fairly close to the plant.

You have also already been directed to our library section and there you will find a thread concerning re-potting and proper, free draining, bonsai soil. From your pictures it looks like the soil is dense, peaty and/or collapsed. This situation is what led to your mold issues. A bonsai in a proper medium is not easily over-watered. Take some time to look research this topic.

BTW, you have a Chinese Elm, one that shows some potential, it would be a shame to lose it to lack of knowledge.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”