bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Flowering Ficus

Just out of curiosity, would a ginseng ficus flower. Not that its important, I just would want to know.

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsaiboy wrote:Just out of curiosity, would a ginseng ficus flower. Not that its important, I just would want to know.
No,
I find it curious that this question was not answered at either of the links Gnome and I provided you with in the initial thread you posted about this tree.

You did read the link Gnome gave right?

{it is literally the best ficus site on the entire web and the guy has a pair of truly excellent books in print regarding ficus- It is an excellent resource.}

The one I gave has good Ficus info also.

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

B.B.

If you are looking for anything that resembles a conventional flower I believe the answer is no.

Ynot,

I saw a very interesting documentary regarding the life cycle of a particular species of Ficus. The actual flower is inside the fruit and is pollinated by a tiny wasp. Someone on another forum did experience fruit on their tree but I don't recall what species it was. But without the symbiotic wasp I don't believe that they could have been fertile.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The site did say something about the tree flowering, but I read somewere that not all bonsai of a givin speicies will flower. I gess this is what I wanted to know. I don't realy care if the flower/fruit are fertile. And, even if its not, are there still unfertile seeds? I think there are, but I want to make shure.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

BonsaiBoy,

More than I care to know about Ficus pollination and seeding. Have fun.

[url]https://waynesword.palomar.edu/gallfig.htm[/url]

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”