elsa
Newly Registered

two bonsai problems

Hiya,

I am looking for your help, because I just started growing bonsais. Mine are fine, but my boyfriend's... It's a Chinese Elm, and it lost all his leaves since about a month and I am afraid it might be dead. We are still watering it, and the soil still needs moisture. I just wondered if it is only dormant or dead, because the wood still feels dry. Does any one have any tips on checking if it dead or not? :? Thank you.
And I actually have another question, about another one. It is a Chinese Yew. Leaves are dropping and what is quite worring :shock: is the white stain on its trunk. Again, I rely on your knowledge to guide me :D.
Thank you all.

ynot
Greener Thumb

elsa,
Welcome.
Does any one have any tips on checking if it dead or not? :? Thank you.
Yes,
In an unobtrusive spot on the trunk scratch a small spot with your thumbnail down to the cambium layer. If you see a pale green color it is still alive, Other colors IE: tan or brown= Ex-bonsai.
Hiya,
I am looking for your help, because I just started growing bonsais. Mine are fine, but my boyfriend's... It's a Chinese Elm, and it lost all his leaves since about a month and I am afraid it might be dead. We are still watering it, and the soil still needs moisture. I just wondered if it is only dormant or dead, because the wood still feels dry.
You have not indicated anything about your geographic location or if the tree is inside or outside and the temperatures and lighting it is exposed to. [Also if it was inside or outside before you purchased it].
All of these are factors in answering your question.

All of this information would also be helpful wrt your other tree, We certainly don't have much to go on here.

Pictures would be extremely helpful-[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557]Here[/url]are some tips & how to post them. As well as some suggestions on information to include about your tree[s].

I would certainly be cautious with the watering as with no leaves your tree has limited transpiration and will not be using nearly the water a healthy tree would.

I hope you are only watering when it requires it... Not because 'It's time to water'.
And I actually have another question, about another one. It is a Chinese Yew. Leaves are dropping and what is quite worring :shock: is the white stain on its trunk.
Thank you all.
The white stain may be a hard water stain, Are the leaves turning gray before they drop? This is often a sign of over watering in Yew, They prefer a well drained potting medium. [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]See here for a bit more about proper well draining bonsai soil.[/url]
Again, I rely on your knowledge to guide me :D.
We rely on more details from you in order to be helpful. :)

[url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html]Here[/url] is a page full of articles on bonsai. They will all be of value to you but I suggest that you focus on Watering and Soil for the moment, But do read the others.[ Watering errors are by far the most common cause of bonsai death]

Please do study the links and also post more info and pics- We will try to help.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”