dougbab
Newly Registered

Caring for Juniper Bonsai in Winter

Hey, I'm a total newbie when it comes to bonsai's!!! My brother just bought me a juniper bonsai as a gift and because well lets face it they're awesome. So I was wondering if I could get some advice? I just put the tree out side it is in the upper 30's to 40's. The tree has been in the sill of my window for the past week because of a major snow storm. My room is the coldest in the house at night it gets to 40 and in the day it doesn't get past the 50's. Is this a good thing or bad thing? I have been keeping the humidity tray full watering about 4 times a week is this to much? I would love some advice and it would be greatly appreciated?
thank you, doug

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hi Doug - Welcome to the forum. Glad that you're seeking advice early on, not after your juniper has turned brown and hope is lost.

Couple things. You should read all you can about basic bonsai care and about junipers in particular. Search the forum (see tab above) for good watering techniques.

Junipers should be kept outdoors - they will die inside. Your temperature ranges are ideal. Seattle has the perfect weather for hardy trees like junipers. Find a sheltered spot where it will not get a lot of wind. Snow is good for this tree - but not freezing ice with wind.

You are watering too much. Outdoors in Winter the snow/rain will take care of the watering needs. Unless you have a stretch of sunny days do not worry - this is not the growing season. Winter dormancy is very important to hardy (outdoor) trees. They can freeze and hardly any water is needed. Snow takes care of it's needs.

But again - read about these things. This forum has much to offer. Check out the beginner stuff. Start there. Do not be tempted to turn your new bonsai into a houseplant.

dougbab
Newly Registered

when is it appropriate use of moss?

TomM
Greener Thumb

Opinions vary on this - as with most things in life - and in bonsai 'art'.

Here's mine. Moss looks nice but it can inhibit good drainage and more importantly it holds water like a sponge. It keeps so much moisture around the trunk and roots that it can block the free flow of air to and from the roots. All this can lead to root rot. ROOT ROT is considered to be the number #1 killer of bonsai. The roots (most important part of the tree) cannot be seen. If they are not healthy the tree can not thrive.

With that said - moss is often applied temporarily for a bonsai show, exhibition or for photography purposes. It can beautifully 'dress-up' a nice tree, make it look more natural. Afterward it should be removed.

Mossing a tree can be an art in itself. Special mosses are used.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Moss as a permanent full "lawn" and a healthy tree are a little bit of reaching in two directions; with arms that aren't quite as long as your goal.

Moss grows pretty well on shallow trays with a bit of fine soil on it.

Moss as part of display grown (and applied) for exhibition, oh say for your state fair or such can and is done.

Moss year round on your tree's soil and maintained as such is harder to do than I have skills for.

Overwintered trees dormant space (or winter space for tender trees) and moss' just aren't the same.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”