charlotte-chan
Newly Registered

HELP! dying/dead tree (Fukien Tea, I think =[)

Hello, I have a small Fukien Tea bonsai (I believe thats it's species)

I left my flat to go home over the christmas holidays. I fully watered my bonsai before I left. I was gone about 3 weeks I came back and my Bonsai looked completely shrivelled up. I gave it lots of water everyday since I got back. It doesn't seem to be drinking the water anymore, or is doing it really slowly. It's condition hasn't improved at all. =[
Here is a photo of how it looks now.
[img]https://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/charlotte-chan/IMG_4306.jpg[/img]

(it looks greener in the photo because of the flash =[)

Please help me it's my first Bonsai, I've only had it since september. I don't want it to die, it's my Friend :'(

tomc
Super Green Thumb

CC, it may be too late for that tree.

It will either bud out new leaves or shed the dried ones with out ever waking up.

My regrets

charlotte-chan
Newly Registered

Oh no =[
Should I keep watering it when it gets dry just incase? =[

Intriguedbybonsai

Giving it more water isn't going to solve the problem. Yes, water is essential to bonsai health, but sometimes you can over do it, and sometimes you can under do it. Hopefully it doesn't have a case of root rot. Carefully pull it from it's pot to inspect the roots. See if they are lively looking. If they are just as shriveled as the the rest of the tree then it's a lost cause.

I recommend a humidity tray for indoor bonsai for long trips away from home. Pull off those dead leaves. Sometimes defoliating a tree helps to encourage new budding. Don't give up. I've killed a few bonsai myself, but it's a learning experience. :wink:

charlotte-chan
Newly Registered

Thanks I'll give that a try ^^

charlotte-chan
Newly Registered

I had a look, some of the smaller roots seemed a bit lifeless but the bigger ones seemed okay. It was hard to have a good look as the dirt is really compact around it. *hardly crumbled out of shape when I lifted it up* Thats how It was when I brought it, so
I was wondering if I should replace the soil?

manIK

Sorry, it's gone. FT are finicky - if it's gotten to this point, imo it's far past the point of no return.

Though there are more skilled FT owners out there that could attest to resurrecting the dead and my experience with them are limited, I just don't see it coming back.

charlotte-chan
Newly Registered

Thanks =[ I thought it had, nothing has changed in the last few days.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”