BonsaiMatthew

Cheap trimming tools?

Anyone know a good source or cheapish scissors, shears, etc. for bonsai maintenance?

Thanks!

TomM
Greener Thumb

Matthew,

If you are an absolute beginner you might want to try to find some small 'looped' scissors from a local craft supply store or sewing shop - something comfortable for your hands.

If you want to explore bonsai suppliers online go to-
https://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/bonsai_tool.html
or www.meco.com

Specialized bonsai tools are not cheap - but there is a wide variety of choices out there.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

(Big-box store) anvil pruners.

Heavy duty toe-nail clippers.

Keyhole or sheet-rock saw (more big-box)

Chop stick

Got me started for the first couple years.

BonsaiMatthew

perfect. It looks like it would be fine to start with cheaper traditional gardening tools (which I already have), and a regular pair of scissors rather than spending the money on official bonsai tools right out of the gate. I just don't want to harm my plants by using tools that aren't sharp enough.

@ tomc -- Thanks for the response and in what manner did you use the heave duty nail clippers?

I did find this relatively cheap set on ebay--not sure if it's worth it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bonsai-Tool-Set-Concave-Cutters-and-Trimming-Shears-/370565874587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564772839b#ht_662wt_1064

gbhunter77

If you do not know if you want to stick with bonsai then the cheap stuff is OK. But if you want to do bonsai from doing it personally I would really recommend Dallas bonsai as suggested before. The tool are not cheap but I have. Bought all my tools from them and never had issues. I also bought the cheap Chinese(not from Dallas) stuff all those tools snaped in half. The sissors got chips in the blades it was a mess once I got the new tools no problems. I threw those crappy tools away.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

BonsaiMatthew wrote:@ tomc -- Thanks for the response and in what manner did you use the heave duty nail clippers?

I did find this relatively cheap set on ebay--not sure if it's worth it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bonsai-Tool-Set-Concave-Cutters-and-Trimming-Shears-/370565874587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564772839b#ht_662wt_1064
I used a stout pair of plier grip-toe nail cutters in leu of a concave cutter for my first couple years.

For me, its not so much a problem of uber sharp tools (though sharpening your own can't hurt), its one of repeating the same step 29,000 times.

Bout the time your ready, cause your hands are spasming, to get better tools, its probably also worth your while to get a lead on a lazy susan.

A-n-d lastly a chain hoist...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”