sandman
Cool Member

weeping willow

anybody evey try doing bonsai on one of these I did a search and cant find that much info. I took a few cutting to 2 years ago and they are growing like weeds and this year I took a couple 3-4 inch cutting and they seem to be doing awesome aswell. was wondering if anybody had any techniques to help keep the growth a lil slower cuz I pulled one out of its pot the other day and after about 3-4 month the roots were so rootbound it had grown out of the 1 gal pot I had it in the ground about 2 feet . do I just need to repot frequently or should I just chop the roots off

Petra26
Cool Member

weeping willow ive read are bad for bonsai and they grow extremely fast. you will need to prune often and probably have to repot and root prune often aswell

ynot
Greener Thumb

They are not too appropriate for bonsai for the reasons Petra mentioned.
Having said that, You have nothing to lose by trying them...lol...Keep chopping those roots.

...However if you have a willow tree handy to you it could be very beneficial!

:idea: Google 'willow water' to see what I mean. Your cuttings will love you!

:D

ynot

EDIT: While doing something else I ran across this article, You may find it interesting:
https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATwillow%20water.html
Last edited by ynot on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Cool Member

the tree is in my front yard so I just had to try it. but probably not for to much longer my parents are thinking of cutting it down cuz its killing our lawn so I thought I would take a bunch of cutting just it case it turned out pretty cool, I plan on putting a few in our pasture for shade trees so I have something to help in rooting other plants/trees.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”