itunescape
Newly Registered

My Bonsai tree was mailed to me, is it in bad condition?

For Valentines day my boyfriend got me a Black Olive Bonsai tree, specifically Bucida Spinosa. It arrived through the mail lol It's about 5 inches tall from the soil. The problem is that I live in New York and the weather has been chaotic and freezing, but the plant's habitat is of a tropical climate.
Is it do-able raising this bonsai tree indoors? Theres barily any sunlight that shines because I live in an apartment, and I water it with filtered water every 2 days.
Another thing that I've noticed is that the tree has some yellow leaves, and it bothers me because its an evergreen and evergreens don't really turn yellow lol I think. So I researched plant infections and diseases and it said that lack of iron could make leaves yellow or too much humidity. What do you guys think?
A final concern is that some of the leaves here and there have these white spots on them. Is that a sign of fungus or bacteria?

I'd really appreciate any kind of advice and help.
Thank you for your time :)
Last edited by itunescape on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ynot
Greener Thumb

itunescape,

[I will reply in more detail later as I am multi-tasking at the moment.]
Is it do-able raising this bonsai tree indoors? Theres barily any sunlight that shines because I live in an apartment,
Yes though you may want to consider additional lighting.

Here are a pair of links about bonsai in general for you to peruse:

I suggest that you check out the beginners articles as well as the ones on watering and soil.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html
[There is a species guide on this site also but they list a different form of olive.]

There are quality articles here as well and I hope you research the same topics at:
https://evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

One last tip about watering Re: this:

and I water it with filtered water every 2 days.

Watering on a schedule is not in your trees best interests, Here is why.
It does not address this issue: Does the tree need water?
Check it every day, But ONLY water when it needs it.

Water only when it needs it. One way to determine this is by probing with your finger [Have a little gentle dig.] about two knuckles deep into the pot and see if it is moist [NOT wet-- moist]...Not bone dry-not wet.

When it is just moist at that depth it is time for a complete watering [Not before]

The goal every time you water is a complete saturation of the soil via a thorough and complete top watering. In fact it is best to water three times about ten minutes apart to insure that the water actually soaks in. {This trifecta = one watering}

When people mention that you should water more [or less] they refer to how often you water not the amount that you water.
It should always be a complete watering, It is just a matter of how often you do it.

ynot

itunescape
Newly Registered

Thank you for your advice :)
I have a feeling that the leaves turn yellow from a combination of a new environment and my gnat infestation in the soil ><
As for lighting I researched that Tropical plants need 1500 lumens of light to grow, so is this a good bulb to order?

https://store.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=6501-01023-0000&WT.mc_id=Froogle6501-01023-0000

much appreciated.

ynot
Greener Thumb

itunescape,
so is this a good bulb to order?
Sure although the same thing is available at any Wal-mart-Lowes-Home Depot. to save you some shipping. Surf their websites and see.

More lumens the better! :) Look for something in the 5000 to 5500K color temperature range for balanced growth, [It is on the package. 3000K is for blooms- 6500 is more green foliage oriented...All will work]

I am glad to see your shopping for a fluorescent bulb [With an eye on the lumens no less! :D :D Remember that the 'watts' re: to the power consumption-Not the brightness. ]

You can get that bulb [or similar] and an [Admittedly ugly] reflector for less than 15$. Or go whole hog and get 4' shop lights for under 40$.....

Whoops, I am getting carried away...lol

Good luckl,
ynot

itunescape
Newly Registered

ynot wrote:
You can get that bulb [or similar] and an [Admittedly ugly] reflector for less than 15$. Or go whole hog and get 4' shop lights for under 40$.....

Whoops, I am getting carried away...lol
A carried away person would be more eccentric and recommend Metal Halides and high pressure sodium glow infused into a state of the art plant heating habitat with timers and such lol

I'll definitly check for the 5000K color, thanks a lot :wink:

ynot
Greener Thumb

itunescape wrote:
A carried away person would be more eccentric and recommend Metal Halides and high pressure sodium glow infused into a state of the art plant heating habitat with timers and such lol

I'll definitly check for the 5000K color, thanks a lot :wink:
LOL,

Your welcome,

True enough, IMO too much money and heat involved with MH or HPS lighting.

Timers are a good idea though and they're cheap.;).

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”