MissyNeedHelp
Newly Registered

New Bonsai Tree owner needs help with what's next!

Hello!
I received a beautiful 13 year old Bonsai Tree and I need help ... I believe it is a ficus tree ... any advice on watering, pruning, feeding and loving would be amazing. My tree has an awesome personality seen through its growth and I want to help nurture and nourish the little guy so we can successfully hang for a long time! THANK YOU in advance for your help!

[img]https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/382901_294307007288652_100001280653551_938188_1285490224_n.jpg[/img]

TomM
Greener Thumb

MISSY, Welcome.

Boy do you have a nice ficus bonsai or what? Very nice! :D

OK - you're in Las Vegas, a place with it's own particular climate, and A/C.

I'm not a ficus expert but I do have some advice.
FIRST - go here and read up on basic bonsai culture with particular attention to ficus topics - it is a very important area of this group of forums. NEWBIES should be required to spend some serious time over in the learning library before proceeding with their journey -
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

Then please get acquainted with the number #1 ficus guru in the US and pay good attention - Jerry Meislik https://www.bonsaihunk.us/

Best of luck with your wonderful gift and stay in touch.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Nice fig. FWIW most folks spend their first few years reading stuff about our beloved tree-children, and then reading our tree children them selves.

Raid the resources here.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm just going to agree, that I hope you take it seriously that this is a real commitment and you need to do some real study not just send in a few questions.

Santa spent some big bucks on this (unless he was a bonsai grower himself in which case he spent years of his time). E.G.:

https://www.joebonsai.com/bonsai-trees/ficus-bonsai-trees-1/nursery-direct-green-island-ficus-bonsai-tree-ii.htm

luigonz

CHECK the soil!

when I buy a ficus tree that I need to grow out, or if I'm afraid its in a small pot( tricky watering schedule with small pots) I will repot it in a larger pot with a lil more organic matter in the mix.

that way its easier to take care of until you get to know ur tree.

then you can reduce root mass and work out a watering schedule (over a period of time).

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Missy,

luigonz suggests that you check the soil and I also have a comment on the soil. The plant looks like it has been in that pot for a few years and the soil seems to be rather compacted. This is not a criticism of the planting or the vendor from which it was purchased. A fresh planting will naturally settle, the soil will co lapse and the soil will become compacted.

This is not of immediate concern as evidenced by the healthy condition of the tree. But it will necessitate more diligence from you regarding watering. A dense soil will require a different watering strategy than a more open one.

TomM mentions reading our thread on basic care, it can be found here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479
Pay attention to the concept of double, or triple, watering, in your case I would definitely utilize it to ensure that the soil is adequately saturated.

If the soil is as dry as it appears a good soaking might even be in order. Then use the chopstick method (mentioned in the same post) in order to judge when to water again. To be a little clearer, watering is never a question of how much but rather when.

Watering is only half of your immediate concern though. Your Ficus needs a bright location in order to thrive. Many growers who have less that ideal light in their home resort to supplemental lighting. It would be a shame to allow such a significant gift to decline due to inexperience. It is indeed a commitment.

Norm

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hope we haven't overwhelmed you with our instructions.

You may notice some 'leaf drop'. That often occurs with ficus when relocated. It needs a little time to readjust to its new home. The old soil will need to be replaced sometime. First let's concentrate on stabilization.

Ficus (fig tree) loves high humidity. Our homes tend to be very dry. A humidifier near the plant and some daily spray misting help with this.

Get to know your tree. It has needs. Learning the proper watering is first. It does not want to be soggy wet all the time. Nor too dry either. How often to water will be determined by the conditions given - light, temp, humidity, and soil conditions. Usually that means 2 or 3 days between watering. But your tree will determine the need. Use the 'chopstick method' from your reading.

Since you already know your way around the camera and can post pictures I have a request. Could you get a couple more shots of your ficus - from a lower angle, like 'eye-level,' from the front and back? Also give height and width dimensions. This might help for future discussion.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

My old eyes can't tell if your fig has arial roots or wiring.

Either have their distinct needs to monitor. That presumes you want arial roots.

Again, nice fig, get-you reading. ;)

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Congrats on your new bonsai. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”