samtr
Newly Registered

concerned about my new ficus

Hi. I recently purchased a ficus microcarpa bonsai from Brussel's nursery on Amazon.com. My concern is that it's been below freezing tempts here and when I received the plant it was pretty cold and the leaves look like they are turning brown. From a few posts that I've read here, I understand that it is normal for ficus to lose leaves due to environment change, but could the cold have damaged the plant? It also looks like the nursery did a sloppy job of pruning the tree since some of the leaves look like they were randomly trimmed. I was wondering if there would be any harm to remove these leaves? This is just a plant for my dorm room but maybe it might turn into a hobby, but I have no experience with bonsai at all so all help is appreciated.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Samtr,
My concern is that it's been below freezing tempts here and when I received the plant it was pretty cold and the leaves look like they are turning brown. From a few posts that I've read here, I understand that it is normal for ficus to lose leaves due to environment change, but could the cold have damaged the plant?
Your profile does not give your location. Regardless, unless you intend to return your plant you will just have to wait it out and see what happens. More than likely it will recover.

One grower on another forum allows his Ficus to get much colder than I would have thought prudent and seems to have no problems, but then again they were allowed to gradually become accustomed to lower temperatures from late summer on.

Be aware that a plant that is stressed and losing its foliage will need much less water than one that is actively growing. Do not overcompensate by over-watering. Allow the tree to become somewhat dry between watering. When you do water do so thoroughly, a little water often is the wrong approach.

Information regarding Ficus [url=https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html]here.[/url]

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Samtr,

:shock: I find it strange that they would even ship a ficus through the midwest at this time of year [not to mention the temps lately!].

Where are you keeping this tree?

Gnome has given you a world class link wrt Ficus.

A Quick question
It also looks like the nursery did a sloppy job of pruning the tree since some of the leaves look like they were randomly trimmed. I was wondering if there would be any harm to remove these leaves?
Just leave them be, The tree will decide what to keep and what to shed.

I am curious about your comment about the 'pruning' since as you state below:
This is just a plant for my dorm room but maybe it might turn into a hobby, but I have no experience with bonsai at all so all help is appreciated.
Please don't assume you completely understand the criteria for pruning/styling, It is absolutely not something that is done at 'random'.

A dorm room is not the most suitable of environments for ficus [Usually not humid enough and lighting can be an issue also.]

I suggest you read up a bit on the basics of bonsai, The articles at these two sites are wonderful introductions to the basics [Species guides, Watering, Soil- Environments-etc] as well as more advanced techniques.
A bit about ficus: https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ficus.html
Pages with articles:

https://evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html

These two sites can provide you with a lot of info, Please utilize them fully 8).

Good luck,
ynot

samtr
Newly Registered

ynot wrote: Please don't assume you completely understand the criteria for pruning/styling, It is absolutely not something that is done at 'random'.

A dorm room is not the most suitable of environments for ficus [Usually not humid enough and lighting can be an issue also.]

ynot
I don't know anything about bonsai but from the way a few of the leaves look (half clipped, some cut in half but with the bottom half still attached) it doesn't look "pleasant". I have a pretty good window that lets in a good amount of light from morning to late afternoon so hopefully that will take care of the light situation. As for the humidity, I can't do much but I have a bowl with some water in it and a strainer suspending the plant over it. Looks tacky but I haven't gotten a humidity tray yet. Thanks for the help.

ynot
Greener Thumb

I don't know anything about bonsai but from the way a few of the leaves look (half clipped, some cut in half but with the bottom half still attached) it doesn't look "pleasant".
That was done on purpose in an attempt to limit transpiration [Moisture loss via the leaves] while in transit.
It was not meant to be cosmetic, It was a conservation measure to insure survival.
It has all the significance of a bad haircut. :P
I have a pretty good window that lets in a good amount of light from morning to late afternoon so hopefully that will take care of the light situation.
New leaves will grow to replace the cut ones, Note that if they grow back larger than the ones already on the tree it means your tree is getting less light than it was used to.
As for the humidity, I can't do much but I have a bowl with some water in it and a strainer suspending the plant over it. Looks tacky but I haven't gotten a humidity tray yet. Thanks for the help.
lol, That IS a humidity tray. It's effectiveness is more important than it's looks as far as your tree is concerned. ;) :)

Do check out the links that were provided, You may find them quite helpful.

ynot

samtr
Newly Registered

It's been three weeks and all the leaves are gone and there are no signs of growth. Is my tree dead? Better yet is there any way to tell if it's still alive?

I've been giving it extra light with a lamp and I've been using a humidifier a few times a week.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Samtr,
It's been three weeks and all the leaves are gone and there are no signs of growth.
Sorry to hear that, it may in fact be dead, but don't give up just yet. If you scratch the bark a little in an unobtrusive spot and see green, living tissue, there is still hope.

Perhaps you should contact the retailer that you purchased it from.

Norm

samtr
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:Samtr,

Sorry to hear that, it may in fact be dead, but don't give up just yet. If you scratch the bark a little in an unobtrusive spot and see green, living tissue, there is still hope.

Perhaps you should contact the retailer that you purchased it from.

Norm
I scratched the top of the tree and it's not green but I also scratched the bottom and it was green there. Does that mean there's still hope?

I was thinking of contacting the retailer but it seems like three weeks is a long time since I purchased it, at least for a plant.

ynot
Greener Thumb

samtr wrote: I've been giving it extra light with a lamp and I've been using a humidifier a few times a week.
What type of lamp/bulb? Is it anything that produces heat? [ IE: Can you place your hand directly on the bulb?]
samtr wrote: I was thinking of contacting the retailer but it seems like three weeks is a long time since I purchased it, at least for a plant.
Perhaps to you....Three weeks is not even the blink of an eye in bonsai.
Try Brussels and see, You have nothing to lose except a hurting plant.

ynot

samtr
Newly Registered

ynot wrote: What type of lamp/bulb? Is it anything that produces heat? [ IE: Can you place your hand directly on the bulb?]

Perhaps to you....Three weeks is not even the blink of an eye in bonsai.
Try Brussels and see, You have nothing to lose except a hurting plant.

ynot
I'm using one of those energy saving spiral fluorescent bulbs. It's only 20 watts and its warm but touchable.

Ok, I'll shoot Brussels an e-mail and see what they say. Thanks

samtr
Newly Registered

well I e-mailed brussel's a week ago and they haven't replied. there's still no sign of growth so I guess it's dead.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Samtr,

Sorry to hear that. Please check your private messages.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”