gbhunter77

old plant that was given to me

This plant was given to me a while back. I sort of just left it in the back yard.

I know what it can be ....but I hate cascade! I have not seen one I like. Soooo any suggestions on styling this thing. I thought I would wire the main trunk upward then drasticly reduce the side branch. Or plant the tree in a way that will make the side branch the main trunk. I will keep the branch but prevent it from growing so I can re direct the energy to other parts.

Does anyone know where I can find photos of these in the wild. There was no tag on this one so I do not have a name. It might be "Juniperus Nana"? Could be a wild over a rock planting perhaps.
[img]https://www.angelfire.com/on3/shellandpaulsphoto/bonsai/p20111224-162105.jpg[/img]

TomM
Greener Thumb

If a cascade is not your cup of tea you might consider a 'raft-style' bonsai with this one. To do so might require removal or jinning of the main trunk.

Try drawing a picture of your juniper as a raft - both in it's current state - and as it might appear in 3-5 years. Use a grow box to train it in BUT keep the dimensions appropriate for planting it up on a tray when the right time comes.

gbhunter77

Excelent idea I total for got about that style!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”