Bonsaimatt

24 hours soaking of seeds

Help me!! I have started the 24 hours soaking of seeds, they have until 10:00 pm tonight before they must be planted or whatever. But the package says to place them in a polybag (I guess ziplock bags are ok) and put equal amount of peatmoss into the bag. Equal to what? the seed size? I thought I had peat moss but I have spagnum moss, will that work too? some of my elm seeds are going in to soil so those are ok, it's spagnum moss thing I'm worried about. The package also says to "drain water from the seeds", my guess is the water they're soaking in, not water inside the seed right? And should the moss be wet in the bag thats going into the fridge for 60 days?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Matt,
But the package says to place them in a polybag
And should the moss be wet in the bag thats going into the fridge for 60 days?
You are talking about stratification or a chilling period to help certain seeds break dormancy.

So when you say:
I have started the 24 hours soaking of seeds, they have until 10:00 pm tonight before they must be planted or whatever.
realize that you are not planting them Just storing them moist for the stated period. Some use sand, some perlite, the medium is not really the point. You can even use damp paper towel folded and stored in a zip-lock type baggie.
The package also says to "drain water from the seeds", my guess is the water they're soaking in, not water inside the seed right?
Not really sure how you could drain water from seeds even if you wanted to, but no it means to remove the seeds from the soaking water. When you store them, the medium should be barely moist, no excess water as the seeds will rot. All you are trying to do is to maintain what moisture that is already present in the seeds to begin with.

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonsaimatt

ok cool. So If I got you right... I can use spagnum moss, just keep it "misted" with water. Not much, just enough to maintain dampness.

I figured that about the water-soaking-seed-draining-thing, just wanted to be sure I didn't not know something like the seeds can be drained. I thought that was impossible without killing the seed. Turns out I was right (kinda a duh thing).

Yeah some are getting "planted" just to see what they'll do. The rest are getting put in the fridge for breaking dormancy. The elm seeds were supposed to be 15 seeds in the package, I got 42. So some are getting experimented on. But ok as long as their slightly moist then they should be fine. Cool Thanks a bunch Gnome you rock! Thanks

P.s. I'm going to my first bonsai club meeting here locally tonight to see what people in my area do. I'm so stoked, it's going to rock the bonsai rock! I'll tell them about this forum site (if they don't already know about it). Later!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Matt,
I have started the 24 hours soaking of seeds, they have until 10:00 pm tonight before they must be planted or whatever.
I guess that I misinterpreted this statement, I forgot you were going with a multi-pronged approach. :oops:
I can use spagnum moss, just keep it "misted" with water. Not much, just enough to maintain dampness.
Sounds good, you will not have to do much over this period just check on them periodically. If they are a bit dry give them a spritz with a spray bottle. If they are too damp you may begin to see mold. Let us know it that happens.

Good luck a the meeting, the nearest club that I have found meets about 50 miles away so I don't really attend.

Norm

Bonsaimatt

Gnome wrote:Matt,

Good luck a the meeting, the nearest club that I have found meets about 50 miles away so I don't really attend.

Norm
Yeah? wow! that sucks. I called Ronnie Baum (get that, he's into bonsai and his last name means "tree" in german!) the gentleman in charge there, he said they're doing a class on pheonix grafting tonight. Which is very cool for me since I was thinking of starting one of those projects soon. Maybe we could start something like that here on the forums. Different methods n' stuff, like how-to classes with pics, vids and stuff. Have a bunch or something. I don't know, just a thought.

Maybe even somthing crazy to promote the site to bonsai folks, I mean to "retain" those one question and gone type people (don't get me wrong I have no problem with that). Like a raffle or contest to win (or randomly receive) some sort of bonsai related stuff (like a well rooted cutting or seedling or 2-3 yr bonsai, or a bonsai book, wire, or bonsai hug n' kiss ha ha). just thoughts- later

ynot
Greener Thumb

:A bit off topic- Sorry:
I mean to "retain" those one question and gone type people
Bm,

The hit-n-run posters can be frustrating because we never get a sense of community here...[Half the time we never even hear if the tree survived.]

No doubt that repeating the same three things about watering, Soil and Location/dormancy/temps all the time can grow very tiring....

Having said that If we don't tell 'em while they are here.....

Who Will??

Small steps, My man,,,small steps...lol

:Back to your regular thread:

I hope you get into a nice club there-

Good luck

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”