Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Matt,
Do you guys have any good places to buy soil components from? I wana good deal (like most people) on soil.
I have purchased Turface and small lava rock from the Monks in GA. It seems foolish though to ship rocks like that so I began searching for materials that could be obtained locally, preferably in bulk.

I found a landscape supply that had Haydite for sale in bulk and he gave it to me for a really good price. I got 25 gallons of it for less than I paid for one bag of Turface mail order. Lava rock is another good component if you can find the right size. I have crushed it myself on occasion, my nephew like to help with this, but it is a PITA and you need several sizes of screens to size it correctly. You should have screens any way though.

There are other options, the same people "Profile" who make Turface also make other products that are similar in nature that are used for aquaculture/ponds but I am not personally familiar with them.

Some use oil-dry or dry-zits, products that are intended to soak oil spills in garages, but these products may not hold up as well in the long term. In the UK a well known bonsai artist uses a specific brand of kitty litter.

I have even collected large grit/small gravel from local stream and cleaned and sized it. So there are a lot of options, start doing some research in your area to find out what is around. Here are some links that may help.

[url=https://www.profileproducts.com/sports_fields/product.cfm?category=1&product=trf_mvp&bhcp=1]Turface MVP[/url]
[url=https://www.hpbhaydite.com/Haydite_Soil_Amendments.htm]Haydite[/url]

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Bonsaimatt wrote:yeah. I got "bonsai soil" it's just that I'm getting so varied with the types of plants (some are acid lovers, some like sandy soil, some just regular (if there is such a thing) soil, ya know) that I have that I'm going to have to start mixing my own soil. That should be cheaper in the long run anyways by buying big bags of one type and mixing them, ya know that whole bulk thing.
You may find that you need less tweaking than you think, Say three varieties -OR- You may individualize each tree...

Thats the thing about soil, 'It's Personal'

It's more accurate perhaps to say it is 'singular' as it relates to a combination of:
The tree species, Your climate, And your habits wrt watering.

If you change any one of these three things it potentially changes the amount of time required between waterings.
There are many more variables IE: Pot size, Sun/Shade, Season, Tree health, Repot, Age, Defoliation...Etc.
I am sure you can think of others.

It comes down to starting with good components and then tweaking the combination to see if you can improve the results. I admit to being a proponent of the 'Keep it simple' mindset when it comes to bonsai soil.

I want my soil to be one simple thing: Effective.

I am happy with how effective my soil is at promoting fine fibrous root systems required to have thriving trees in extremely shallow pots.
Do you guys have any good places to buy soil components from? I wana good deal (like most people) on soil.
[url=https://www.profileproducts.com/sports_fields/product.cfm?category=1&product=trf_mvp&bhcp=1]Turface MVP[/url] Call the 800# at this website and ask them to find your local dealer [It will most likely be an ag place.].

Akadama, To many of the pros this is the holy grail of bonsai soil, A High fired clay particles that retain moisture and oxygen.

Ask your local dealer about Turface MVP, Mine [A 45 minute drive] has 50lb bags for less than 8$ [Yes! 8$- That is not a typo :) ]
[Needs to be sifted].

I have used another Profile product [Same company as Turface ] called Schultz aqua soil [It is the 'soil' for water garden plants]

'Arcillite' is what it actually is and though I find it stays a bit too wet [If I am not careful] I have used it as a primary component in my soils for the last 2 or 3 years or so.

Thanks to Gnome, On another thread he wrote:
Gnome wrote: 1. Turface MVP, is is fired clay product that is intended primarily for sports applications but is ideal for use with bonsai. The 'MVP' moniker simply designates the grade/size of the product. The parent company of this product, distributes various products under various names. Many of which have been used as bonsai components.

2.[url=https://www.hpbhaydite.com/Haydite_Soil_Amendments.htm]Haydite[/url] , is an expanded shale material. I believe its intended application is for construction and is available in various grades as well.

3. Lava rock, the familiar material that is seen as a landscape product in almost any home center/box store. The problem is locating it in the proper size. I have read that some have located the proper size locally but I never have. I am limited to either buying by mail order, something I try to avoid for obvious reasons, or sizing it myself.

4. Perlite, an expanded mineral that resembles Styrofoam beads is available everywhere and is effective if not particularly attractive.
I will try to add a bit to this in a while..

ynot

KKenn
Newly Registered

Bonsaimatt wrote:yeah. I got "bonsai soil" it's just that I'm getting so varied with the types of plants (some are acid lovers, some like sandy soil, some just regular (if there is such a thing) soil, ya know) that I have that I'm going to have to start mixing my own soil. That should be cheaper in the long run anyways by buying big bags of one type and mixing them, ya know that whole bulk thing.

BTW dallas bonsai's website has two for one seed packages deals for 4.95 each.

I live in Dallas I was thinkin about running up to their storefront this weekend. I know they sell the Akadama stuff there, would you guys recommend that just to start off with or would I be better of making my own mixture?

II took off the glued on rocks and now I realize how dry my poor tree was. I got it's soil nice and moist. (but not too moist) Also there is barely any soil in the pot now. It was mostly rocks LOL And I found the left over of some "moss" they had on top of the soil when I bought it. All it was was a green yarn type stuff....Wal Mart can be very strange sometimes. /shrug

nd can't wait to get it into a better pot!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KKenn,
I live in Dallas I was thinkin about running up to their storefront this weekend.
I have been recently informed that Dallas Bonsai is not really a retailer in the usual sense. They have no showroom so if you go you need to know what you want beforehand. Do all your browsing on their website.
I know they sell the Akadama stuff there, would you guys recommend that just to start off with or would I be better of making my own mixture?
You can try Akadama if you like, either alone or in conjunction with other components. Most growers use some organic components for tropicals. Its been a while since I was at their site but I would wager that they also offer pre-mixed soils, make sure you sieve it. Check them out and make your decision. You may even be able to place your order online and go pick it up if you want.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”