Neek
Newly Registered

HELP! Did I cut too much?

This is a picture of my current project. It is December, this is a Tuscan Blue Rosemary christmas tree I picked up at osh, I cut A LOT off in an effort to train the tree where to grow its green...I also repotted it. ive heard not to re-pot, or trim the tree during this time, but I want to train it so yea...I'm super super worried about if I did this right, and if it will survive the winter! some one please help me out and reassure me haha. it has a "windy" kind of look to it I suppose...I'm thinking my goal is to make it look sort of like a tiny christmas tree around next christmas...also I had a question about fertilizer...how to use it and when? THANKS!!!!! totally new to this, its my first!
[url]https://imgur.com/RrGO9[/url]

TomM
Greener Thumb

Neek - Eeek. Yes you did cut too much.

But wait. I admittedly do not have a lot of experience with rosemary. Had a very nice one once, and yeah, I killed it. :oops:

Also I am not in the Bay area like you. Your climate is very different than mine.

Point is your chances of success with this herbal bonsai material is considerably improved in the area of 'back budding' and long term survival.

I hope some of the others here who do have the knowledge and experience, and perhaps are in your region, can help out with your questions.

Fertilizing is usually withheld during the Winter months, with start-up again around April in your area. I would suggest Osmocote Smart-Release Outdoor & Indoor to begin with.

Best of luck to you.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Rosemary needs as much light as you can get it during the winter months. A-n-d a bit less water. Or mine does when it comes indoors in SE-OH for the winter.

Be carful about pruning it too much into lions tail-tufts. I'd prune yours harder during the spring growing phase, and a lot less autumnaly.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not a bonsai grower, but I do have experience over-wintering rosemary indoors, which I had to learn the hard way after several failures. It does not like regular potting soil, too moisture holding. It wants something sandy and free draining and a bit on the alkaline side. Very little water (and no fertilizer) on the soil, but mist the leaves/ needles. It is apparently more comfortable getting its water that way.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”