anyasvet
Newly Registered

Bonsai identification

Hello,
I just recieved a bonsai tree as a present for my 25 birthday.
Unfortunately in the small country I live in, it is very difficult to find someone who is knowledgeably about bonsai trees. So I still don't know what type is my bonsai tree. I think it is some kind of Boxwood.
Please help me.
Thanks in advance

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I have to agree that your tree may be a boxwood. There was a similiar post and the tree was eventualy determined to be a boxwood. Here's the link

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4021&sid=7c948600c6ba3a1d61c56bf1752a8302

This link may also help you to care for your tree, the topics discussed are very useful.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

anyasvet,

Hi and welcome to the site. While the pictures you posted do bear a resemblance to Buxus, look closely at the young stems. My Box have a round stem and a more textured bark. I suspect that this plant is actually a Chinese Pepper, (Zanthoxylum). Use Google to search for both species and verify this identification.

Norm

[img]https://aquiya.skr.jp/zukan/Zanthoxylum_beecheyanum_var_alatum%20.jpg[/img]

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome,

I quite agree with your ID, Note the compound leaves of anyasvets' tree:

Notice that in the picture below the leaves are arranged in alternating pairs [A horizontal pair then a vertical pair.]

This picture is of Japanese boxwood foliage from Bonsai4me* [Harry Harringtons site]

I hit up google without much success wrt Zanthoxylum. your mileage may vary. ;)

I know they are tropicals but not much more.

I honestly have never been all that interested in them due to the compound leaves [Kind of a pain to train IMO..:lol:]
People do make some pleasing bonsai with them though.

good luck,
ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Constantstaticx3,

Hi, thanks for the input. I checked out the link you posted to the picture (I posted) and I am afraid that I failed to note that that picture is of pressed foliage. This of course distorts the arrangement of the leaves.

Ynot,

Thanks for catching my oversight. My trees are outside under a half a foot of snow right now and I was working from memory.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote: Ynot,

Thanks for catching my oversight. My trees are outside under a half a foot of snow right now and I was working from memory.
Norm
No worries at all Gnome, I am well aware that you pick up after me here and there. :razz:;):).

constantstaticx3,
Please keep contributing 8)

anyasvet,

I forgot to wish you a belated happy birthday!

ynot

anyasvet
Newly Registered

Thank you all for answering my identification request so fast.
I was finally able to identify my tree as Zanthoxylum piperitum thanks to your hints. I found a couple of images of that species on the internet that look exactly like my tree. I guess it is not a very popular bonsai tree scince I hardly met it in any bonsai catalog. But anyway now I am ready to take proper care of my Chinese Pepper.
Thanks again and see you around the site

Bonsaimatt

well if it's a Chinese Pepper then I've seen alot of those as bonsai. Mostly from the garden center near me. But anything* can be bonsai. It's all about you.

* as long as the leaves fit the size of tree your going for. Like, an oak tree thats 1 foot tall with 9 inch leaves just doesn't look right. Chinese Peppers look great to me.

Have bonsai fun! later!

P.S. don't listen to me, Gnome and Ynot are the ones to read. :lol:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”