Bonsaiguy
Newly Registered

Is tap water safe to use for bonsai?

Does anybody know what the best water is to use for your Bonsai tree? :?: I need the help.

gbhunter77

I use regular tap water but we have city water not well water. I have not had problems but I have read of people watering with filtered water, some just a simple tap filter, others use water filtered through reverse osmosis, yet others have used rain water. It depends on the quality of water in your area. Some places (like Poland where I was born) use a ton of chlorine. If there are other bonsai owners in your area they will be the best resource. Others on this site may be able to over more advice. One thing that would help is knowing where you are in the world.

Bonsaiguy
Newly Registered

Ok thanks. I live by lake michigan and use city water too. I hear most plants die from tap water so I'm making sure what is best for a little Bonsai. Thanks again for the help. I will keep looking for answers and confirmation.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Bonsaiguy wrote:Ok thanks. I live by lake michigan and use city water too. I hear most plants die from tap water so I'm making sure what is best for a little Bonsai. Thanks again for the help. I will keep looking for answers and confirmation.
Draw water today, for use tomorrow. Letting water outgas by sitting is probably easier to do than collecting rain water.

TomM
Greener Thumb

I am in a very rural area. My water comes straight from a spring and it is a bit hard. I don't think it has any ill effects on my trees. I also have a large koi pond and I use water from it to water the bonsai in the garden close by. The fish 'by-products' are said to be beneficial, so - why not?

Intriguedbybonsai

Here in San Diego the water is what is considered "hard water". I don't dare drink it, but it works for washing or watering plants. The only problem I've had with our tap is that it leaves white spots on plant leaves, and it forms a crusty residue around the trunk area. I've heard it's good to boil your tap water if you intend on comsuming it. Same for plants. Chlorine is heavily present in most city tap water. I suggest a water faucet filter, letting it sit for 24 hrs, or boiling it.

Wort
Cool Member

I too live near Lake MI and use city water, I just distill the water, basically boil mass amount of water to purify it then freeze it then put it in the fridge to thaw it. That will get rid of calcium.

BonsaiMatthew

is tap water that has been run through a water softener safe?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mathew,

I don't have a softener so I can't say firsthand but most sources I have read specifically say to avoid softened water due to the increased levels of salts.

Norm

BonsaiMatthew

Gnome wrote:Mathew,

I don't have a softener so I can't say firsthand but most sources I have read specifically say to avoid softened water due to the increased levels of salts.

Norm
Thank you Norm.. Looks like I will be searching for a new water source.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”