gbhunter77

question - How do you increase branching in decidous trees?

This may seem like a rather broad questin., it is specific to decidous trees in this case. How do you increase branching. For example I have a branch that is just a straight shot. I want to make it have multiple branches many many branches. I am in a good mood I got good news about my health :lol:

But my understanding is that you cut the branch right where the leaf meets the branch. Is this correct?

TomM
Greener Thumb

A good question indeed.
But first - isn't it good to get some good news about your health, especially around this time of year? I did as well. And Thanksgiving has special meaning because of it!!!
What you're referring to is the progression from main branches, secondary branches and tertiary branches or what we call ramification. This is well seen in the older masterpiece bonsai and it often takes many years to achieve.
Your reference to cutting the (main) branch is correct but not quite that simple. Once the branch has grown out to the thickness you want you prune back to the first, or second leaf (actually just past it) to induce new budding at that cut. Hopefully you will get 2 or more new secondary branches to grow from that point.
Then each of those can be grown out for a few more years and you can cut them back to the first or second leaf buds to get 2 or more new branches at each cut. You do this many many times for the multliplication factor which leads to tiny tertiary branches - ramification and taper from thick to thin.
TIME & PATIENCE, just like in nature. Compare a 3 year year old tree with a 300 year old tree. Many many tiny branches - and then try to duplicate what you see in miniature. It just does not happen quickly.
Thanks for asking - and have a fantastic Thanksgiving!!!!

gbhunter77

That was an awesome reply thanks!!

Enjoy your thanksgiving as well!

gbhunter77

Does this methon work with pines as well?

TomM
Greener Thumb

No. Pines and other conifers need different pruning techniques and there are different methods for the various trees and for different ages of tree. Too complex to get into right now.

But in your earlier reference concerning deciduous trees there are some other things to consider as well. With maples, especially Japanese, you will often get a lot of new buds at the 'cut point' and that can be a problem. Too many will produce a large bulge in that area over time. Do not let that happen - it will be ugly. As soon as the new (usually red) buds pop out you should remove (with fingernail) all but 2. Always take off any that grow straight up or down - and keep 2 that are growing left and right. This is very important and over time will make a huge difference for your maple.

Tips like this will be for the growing season - next Spring & early Summer. Make a note of them. If you can you should get Boon's DVD on Maples. So much good stuff to learn.

gbhunter77

I'm ordering the dvds after Christmas. My scan for cancer was finally negative after a false positive scared the junk out of me. Plus put a dent in my wallet yet again. :-)
But I hope to get everything on track. I have spoken to Mr. Boon via mail and he stated that Michigan clubs are terrible especially the one I'm in. I really look forward to working with pines, eliminating the sheer veriety of plant material I can focus on a few types of plant and be familiar with them.

My bougenvillia is flowering :-) under artificial lights. The plant needs a trim but that will wait till I'm confident the plant recovered from its 3 repotings last year. :oops:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”