Kaerihana

First Aid - Can Bonsai Recover from Root and Heat Damage?

Hi, One of my family had a unknown species of tree which was told was a tropical or subtropical. As it got cold it was brought in and mistakenly placed near a wall heater and warm surface. It seems to have suffered heat damage to the roots and had dried out to the point of withering leaves.

When watered the first week it seemed fine then had black leaves branches appear. I asumed root rot due to the weak roots caused by the heat damage and it was inevitable. I checked the under bark it was green and I thought a emergency repot would help. The roots were also very green and slimy.

I removed the rotted roots, and placed in a spaghnum peat moss and a small amount of inorganic matter. It seems the partical size was a tad smaller then it should have been and drains slowly and is a little compact. The tree is slowly growing new leaves and still dieing in other areas. Ive removed the died back areas and branches. The tree is still very weak but alive.

I was curious if I should do another quick repot into a better draining medium this soon or just let it alone till it recovers some. I am concerned if its not well draining it will not recover from the rot and heat damaged roots and eventually die. however repoting so soon may kill it as well so any advice would help.

gbhunter77

From peronally having done it. I would not recomended. By repoting the tree you stress it more than it already is. Perhaps more advanced members can give alternate advice. I would not do it. Do not fertilize either.

Kaerihana

I wish I could find out the species so I can provide better care however there are only a few leaves growing and sprouting. I do know in summer with lots of light the leaves turn white with a thin green line in center. Less light increased the color of green this fall. Tough tree though I had doubts it would survive all the damage root pruning and die back. It will still loose a few more small and possibly large branch but its alive :) just wish the soil had drained better. I guess ill leave it be until it recovers more.

gbhunter77

Growing leaves is a good sign. Reporting stresses the plant pretty bad that is why you only repot healthy plant. I have been told I have a green thumb.. I do not do anything special Its just things happen. I repottet a bougevillia 3 times in one year. 2 is bad 3 I was told is a death sentece for the plant. The plant struggled. But now I have new growth for the first time. I have brackts growing which will open into flowers, unfortunately I will remove the flowers since I do not want the plant to spent energy on flowers. If I'm wrong with this I'm sure someone will correct me. New growth is good, you may get a bit of die back but the plant under good conditions should do ok. Watering needs to be good to prvent bugs or rot.

Hope this helps

If anyone else has anything better please help out.

Kaerihana

It seems like it will be ok. I allways seem to get the sick ones to help. I don't think it would bother me if it died. As long as I knew I had done everything right. Just need to have faith in my thumb as well I guess. Ty for the response if it continues to recover I will post some leaf photos and see if anyone can identify it. would help to have this info rather then rely on what I think I know about the species based on the tree does not loose leaves in winter but handels cold weather decent provided its sheltered a bit and gets sun. thats all the info I have. ty again.

TomM
Greener Thumb

With the limited amount of info to identify your tree we can not be sure what is going on here.

But generally speaking a second repotting would probably not be advised until Spring. Try to keep it alive in the meantime. Keep it close to a bright window - but not too close to cold drafty glass. Do not overwater. Provide some humidity with misting. Hope for the best.

Not knowing if your tree is a tropical, sub-tropical, or even a temperate or hardy plant limits any suggestions we might have to offer.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

A ditto on the don't re-pot advisory. A chill followed by a span on a radiator would spell death for most trees. New growth is a good sign. But holding your breath would be inadvisable. Without pictures, there's little alse I can say to help.

Kaerihana

Thanks I figured the same . I just needed the second opinion thanks for the advice everyone. Ill let it continue to recover. I felt it would prolly mean a death sentence. But it still recovering slowly. 2 or 3 weeks and it will reach the 6 week mark after repotting so hopefully I will see faster recovery. Thanks again.

Kaerihana

The tree is responding well to all my effort and this week has pushed alot of new lush healthy growth on every branch but 1 . I do however see a possible bud waiting to pop on the last branch. Crosses fingers :) I will post a pic soon for identification purposes. I want to provided the best care possible ID will help so much. thanks all.

Kaerihana

here is a pic of new growth to help ID this tree https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/037ez.jpg/

TomM
Greener Thumb

Varigated serissa foetida.

When healthy it should look like this
https://www.rareflora.com/serissamtfuji.htm
Learn all about it.

Kaerihana

Well it does not bloom and the color pattern and size do not mach this tree when healthy. It could be just that it was pruned back and defoliated to get the previous very good ratification and small leaf and tight nodes. It is a good possibilty though any other ideas would be welcome. I believe you may be right based on more research ty.

Kaerihana

Here is some updated photos of the previous sickly tree doing much better as you can see https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/001yky.jpg/

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”