Jo

bonsai identification help

Hello,

I recently received a bonsai as a gift, but it came with no identification, so I'm not sure what it is. It has green shiny leaves and very small white flowers - could it be a fukein? It appears to have soil with inadequate drainage & may need a repot. Is it best to wait however as it is just starting to flower?

I would appreciate your advice and suggestions
Thanks in advance
Jo

Photos here:
https://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/joburr/IMG_0529.jpg
https://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/joburr/IMG_0001.jpg

TomM
Greener Thumb

Yes - it is Fukien tea. I do not have a great deal of experience with tropicals. I believe they are more suited to repotting in any season than cold hardy trees are. But I would still prefer to repot in Spring when new growth is becoming vigorous.

Others here might have better advice.

gbhunter77

The teas are prone to bugs so a good pesticide research my be a good idea.
Nice plant.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Almost impossible to keep indoors. DO NOT change to a "free draining" (read:arid) mix for Fukiens indoors. A 50/50 potting soil/bonsai mix works MUCH better. If Fukiens dry, they die. Repotting is also an issue. They're finicky about having their roots messed with so ONLY repot when growth is vigorous.

djlen
Green Thumb

Love the look of Fukiens. Despise the plant....wasted a couple of years trying to grow them.
They are so prone to Aphid infestation that I was spraying them weekly and couldn't keep the bugs in check. I hope you have better success.
When you start to notice stickiness on the leaves and white areas on the nodes and leaves you will be experiencing your first encounter with Aphids. I hope you have better luck than I did.

lucenda
Cool Member

I spray my Fukien every other week with apple vinegar and I didn't see any insect nor sticky leaves for weeks now.
Always protect the roots while spraying; cover them up with plastic bags; let the tree stand for 1 minute and rinse the leaves off with a lot of water.
Never use very cold water. Spray also under the leaves; most insects are hiding there. There's a lot of info here about the Fukien; read as much as possible!

Good luck!!

Jo

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses, I agree its probably best to wait until spring for repot, it seems happy enough for the moment.
I'll probably have to keep it indoors as I don't think the temperature in the UK will suit it (especially now) so I wouldn't have thought I'd have the same issues with bugs indoors? (hopefully)
Thanks again
Jo

djlen
Green Thumb

My experience is that there are more issues indoors, probably because there are natural predators for the aphid outside and none (except you) inside.
I hope your experience is different than mine was. I wouldn't take one if someone gave it to me. Just too much aggravation. :(

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”