Marianne81
Newly Registered

care of bonsai elm in winter

I recently acquired an elm tree and until now have kept it on the terrace which faces south.
At the moment it is still outside and it is starting to lose its leaves. I live in the north of Italy and the temperature now is around 5-11 degrees. The winter here is cold and frosty , I don't know whether to put it on the stairs in my block of flats (where there is no heating) or leave it outside with some sort of covering.
Can anyone offer some suggestions?
Thank you

Marianne :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a bonsai grower, I'm not going to try to answer your question. I'm sure someone will come along who can.

But just to be sure we are all speaking the same language, I was a little confused. You said temps are now 5 -11 degrees and you are in Italy. So that means 5 - 11 degrees C, right? That would be 41 - 51 degrees F. But you said cold and frosty, 41 - 51 doesn't sound frosty to me. 41 - 51 is daytime highs? nighttime lows?

If you clarify this, you will get better help, thanks.

Marianne81
Newly Registered

Dear rainbowgardener,

In Italy it is currently autumn, and the temperature at the moment ranges from around 5 to 11 or 12 degrees Celsius. When winter arrives it will be cold and frosty, even snowy, as I stated in my earlier post. For now I can leave my bonsai on the terrace, but when the temperature drops dramatically... ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sorry, if I offended you, I wasn't trying to be critical. We have readers and writers here from all around the world. Even though we all use English in the forum, we don't all use the same measurements and we don't all use terms the same way, so it helps to try to be clear. Thanks for the clarification.

webmaster
Site Admin

Hi Marianne. I just received three notices from Yahoo:
This user doesn't have a yahoo.it
Please register with a valid email address. It is an inconvenience to me to have these email notices bounced to my email inbox.

Good luck.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”