Wayne the Shrink
Newly Registered

Very specific beginner questions

I am in the process of beginning to grow Bonsai. I have multiple seeds of American Persimmon, have grown them from seed in the past. I will grow a grow box after Christmas. I wish to grow a grove of American Persimmon. I realize they need to be in the grow box outdoors for a couple of years before I do anything to them. I realize I need vermiculite with a small amount of natural earth in it.

When I build a grow box how deep do I need it to be? I am thinking of 3'x5'x18", is 18" deep enough? I am planning about a 5 degree angle of the sides.

To grow a grove do I plant them all together originally or join them later? The seeds are currently in my refrigerator (collected this fall) and will be planted when I finish the grow box.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Wayne,

I think that I would approach a grove/forest by growing the trees out individually for several years before creating the arrangement. Start with as many as you feel you can manage potting them up, and managing the roots, as necessary. Not all of the seedlings will be of sufficient quality and some will probably even die before the grove is created so starting with more than you think you will need is insurance.

A forest usually consists of trees of differing sizes and ages in order to promote a more natural feeling. This implies starting seed over several years or perhaps purchasing a few larger trees to compliment your younger ones.
When I build a grow box how deep do I need it to be? I am thinking of 3'x5'x18", is 18" deep enough?
18" is way too deep for anything except perhaps a large collected tree while it is being transitioned to a bonsai pot. You could get by for the first few years with nothing more than plastic nursery pots.
I realize I need vermiculite with a small amount of natural earth in it.
I use no Vermiculite but I do use Perlite, the Vermiculite that I have seen is of an inappropriate texture. Perhaps you can locate a better source. Bonsai soil is something of a misnomer and very few growers would suggest any actual soil in pots as the nature of native soil will hinder drainage, which is the watchword in the bonsai world. The following thread should help with composing a good free draining bonsai soil.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

Norm

Wayne the Shrink
Newly Registered

Thanks for the links. I'll look at them.

I am aware that in nature groves and forests are communities that are interconnected and communicate within themselves. Common responses to threats are spread and the need to respond is communicated well in advance of the appearance of the threat in another section of the community - I didn't say that very well but you get the gist, I hope. Environmentalists have known for years that forests communicate.

Granted that a grove typically are of multiple ages, they are also of multiple species. I can handle the multiple ages, I have access to the parent tree over years. I won't have room for multiple species I don't believe, and I don't think this is necessary.

I was thinking of planting together and keeping together because of the natural community of the plants. If they are grown individually and put together for display I don't think that will develop so easily.

Admittedly I am completely inexperienced in this, just thinking of what little I know generally and how it might apply to this situation. That may be a mistake.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”