bonsaibeauty

Thanks guys, :)

have done a little more research :roll: and have found out that the reason tesco premium lightweight cat litter is best when others aren't so good is that there's is different to most cat litters as it is made of just 100% recycled paper whereas all the rest are chemical, etc. The one I got was made of 'fullers earth' which I don't think is right or worth risking so I'm getting the right one from tesco tomorrow.

The Levington compost you researched was right but mine is a slightly different (apparently new) formula and it doesnt say how much % is what.

I know what you mean about compost as here it is normally really thin and would all go through a sift but in the store a bag had opened and I saw they were almost in 'balls' of soil. hope this is right.

will get some pictures on soon, speak to you later :wink:

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsaibeauty wrote:Thanks guys, :)
Your Welcome!
have done a little more research :roll:
LOL- We are relentless aren't we? [img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/crazy/whis_keule01_27794.gif[/img]
Read, Research, Read some more, Read a bit more, Use eye-drops and make a pot of coffee, Do some more reading...
[img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/crazy/975.gif[/img] :wink:
and have found out that the reason tesco premium lightweight cat litter is best when others aren't so good is that there's is different to most cat litters as it is made of just 100% recycled paper whereas all the rest are chemical, etc. The one I got was made of 'fullers earth' which I don't think is right or worth risking so I'm getting the right one from tesco tomorrow.
I am not sure I understand the bit about the recycled paper...? The litter itself is composed of paper? [That certainly won't do...I must misunderstand this...] [or the bag?..] I am pretty confused by that actually...

I have never used [url=https://www.answers.com/topic/fuller-s-earth]Fullers Earth[/url] But it seems as though it may be a bit too water retentive to be beneficial as a primary soil component.
The Levington compost you researched was right but mine is a slightly different (apparently new) formula and it doesnt say how much % is what.
Ok
I know what you mean about compost as here it is normally really thin and would all go through a sift but in the store a bag had opened and I saw they were almost in 'balls' of soil. hope this is right.
That is certainly better than if it were of a very fine composition.
As I said earlier:
Size matters!
Note the size of the 'soil' particles in the pictures I posted, It looks nothing at all like what is in your garden.
[Can't really properly call it 'soil']
will get some pictures on soon, speak to you later :wink:
8)

ynot
Last edited by ynot on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonsaibeauty

Hi Ynot,

That certainly drains quickly doesnt it? so does the bonsai just get enough moisture from that? (how quickly does it dry out) how often (approximately) would you do that?

From your pictures it looks like a mixture of course and smooth grounded grit which I could pick up tomorrow. How does the bonsai get any nutrients from this?

Lovely bonsai collection by the way, I like the little forest of bonsai :P

I heard that my particular bonsai the fukien tea needs to be moist at all times (hence how I got so carried away with the watering, or should I say flooding :shock: :lol: This cant be right can it but would the grit be enough moisture for mine?

:D

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsaibeauty wrote:Hi Ynot,

That certainly drains quickly doesnt it? so does the bonsai just get enough moisture from that? (how quickly does it dry out) how often (approximately) would you do that?
Good questions, :)
8) Yep, When I say well draining soil, I am not fooling around.
It drains like a box full of coat hangers is my favorite way to put it. :)

Yes it gets enough moisture from that {That was when I lived in North Carolina [VERY HOT & VERY HUMID & BLAZING SUN]}

I watered as required [You had to know I was going to say that, right?]
Every day or every other day [depends on what tree were talking about- tree requirements- pot size- location [sun or shade] are all factors here.]
From your pictures it looks like a mixture of course and smooth grounded grit which I could pick up tomorrow. How does the bonsai get any nutrients from this?
Two words; 'fertilizer regimen' I feed them on a regular basis, They take what they need/can utilize and the rest is washed away through the free draining soil. No worries about extra buildup of chemicals in my soil either.

It is my job/responsibility [and yours] to provide all that your tree requires [Water, Appropriate light, Nutrients, Proper temps { via a suitable location}..etc.
Lovely bonsai collection by the way, I like the little forest of bonsai :P
Thanks, Wait..eh?... Oh no...lol, That is not a forest, [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3561]This[/url] is a forest- Or will be;)]
That is a raft [When a tree falls in the forest and the branches continue to grow into trees from the fallen log.] It has grown a bit since that picture [That was when rooted it] Here it is as of last Oct:
You can just see the former trunk along the soil line. [The 'trees' in this all sprout from it as they were formerly branches ] It is about 10" high
[url=https://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ficusraftoct060003to0.jpg][img]https://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6638/ficusraftoct060003to0.th.jpg[/img][/url]

A picture of the soil line: [url=https://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ficusraftoct060005oj4.jpg][img]https://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9746/ficusraftoct060005oj4.th.jpg[/img][/url]

There is quite a story behind that actually. Read it [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19101&highlight=soil#19101]here.[/url] [Good soil info in this thread also.]
That [future] raft is actually the top that I cut off of another tree entirely.
Just for the record: All of these trees [The forest, the raft and the shohin] came from the same 1/2G pot {or was it 1/2G-can't recall. 6,7, or 8 trunks in total about 2'-60cm high} from a garden center and cost about 8$US.
I heard that my particular bonsai the fukien tea needs to be moist at all times (hence how I got so carried away with the watering, or should I say flooding :shock: :lol: This cant be right can it but would the grit be enough moisture for mine?
Well, You haven't really had a problem with having too little moisture so far, Lets cross that bridge if we come to it. :razz::wink:

I assure you it works for 1000s of bonsai worldwide [More actually].

Also this is what the addition of pine bark [an organic element] does to your mix- it helps it to retain moisture.
I make a distinction here as often people mistakenly water because it is not WET- It only needs to be moist- NOT wet.

If it is still moist their is no need to water, It need not be wet, just moist.

Note the difference between 'moist' and 'squidgy push on it and water comes out soaking wet'.
In better soil this will be less of a problem, Remember your tree lives in the soil not on top of it.

Those few bone dry flakes [You will see them] of bark on the surface ARE NOT a reason to reach for the watering can.

It is the depths that matter, And they don't need to be dripping wet either for that matter.

I know it all seems scary but you have to tough it out and resist the urge to water constantly.

Tape a huge note [or write in marker] on your watering can:

Only as required.

It will get less scary, I promise...

ynot

bonsaibeauty

:o Wow, that really is a forest... I hope I can do that one day! Incredible.

Am going to have a rethink as to how I'm going to repot my bonsai, maybe also take back the compost and just use exactly what you have. I'll let you know what happens in the next episode of 'bonsaibeauty repots her first bonsai' tomorrow. Do you use liquid or solid food? :? Thanks for all the help again

bonsaibeauty

Just in case I repot it before speaking to you tomorrow, have been reading your sticky on repotting and watering afterwards... do I use the submersion method or water with a watering can? thanks :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsaibeauty wrote::o Wow, that really is a forest... I hope I can do that one day! Incredible.
Thanks, It still has a ways to go though.

BTW- I found a more concise version of evolution of the Shohin/Raft trees at:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18379#18379
I knew I posted that somewhere on here but took a bit to find it..lol.
Am going to have a rethink as to how I'm going to repot my bonsai, maybe also take back the compost and just use exactly what you have.

Ok, Do keep in mind that not everyone has the same materials locally available. There are often suitable substitutions available though.

Improvisation is a large part of bonsai you will find.
Due to variables such as What's available wrt potting medium, Climate {Temp, Humidity, Sunlight, Etc} Species you grow, Age-Development-and Health of said species, The amount of resources you have to devote to your trees {Time, Money, Etc.}
Actually the key is to use whatever is effective and is available to you locally, Or easily available.

IE: Using exactly what I use may have less [or more] effectiveness for you depending on all the conditions above. It is a constant process of experimentation/tweaking/observation and then trying to improve the results you get.

First we will get you started....Where the path takes you after that is up to you. 8)
I'll let you know what happens in the next episode of 'bonsaibeauty repots her first bonsai' tomorrow. Do you use liquid or solid food? :? Thanks for all the help again
I use liquid soluble ferts. Miracle Gro and Peters. Two regular old every day ferts available at any wal-mart [or similar garden center] and one fish emulsion fert that is also easy to find in any garden center.

Just for the record their is absolutely no such thing as bonsai specific ferts [or seeds for that matter.]

Ultimately, Bonsai are just trees in container culture. Their special needs wrt soil are so that they develop the most efficient root system possible so they can thrive in their limited [Soil volume wise] environment.

If by 'solid' I assume you mean some type of slow-release pellet. I do not use those at all as I prefer to be know when my trees 'eat' {So to speak} as opposed to mixing in another component into my soil.

Keep reading and posting,
ynot

bonsaibeauty

thanks so much - am looking forward to my onward adventure with mr. bonsai... will keep you posted :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

Sorry just saw your post. [EDIT: Both posts rather, I must be slowing down in my old age....lol ;) That's funny because I am not old at all...]
bonsaibeauty wrote:Just in case I repot it before speaking to you tomorrow, have been reading your sticky on repotting and watering afterwards... do I use the submersion method or water with a watering can? thanks :)
You could do it either way [provided you fully saturate the soil] Usually, After a repot I go ahead and dunk it in tepid water for 5 to 10 minutes It won't need 10...
You will find that it drains far far faster. :)
It should be the last time you dunk it for quite a while, until the next repot.

One thing for the repotting [I haven't read the sticky for a while].

Make sure you have a chopstick handy to use to poke the soil down into the rootball [fill partially- start poking and keep adding soil and keep poking]

You will be very surprised at how much more soil you can fit into the pot as you work it into and throughout the rootball.

The saga continues.... :wink:

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”