TomM
Greener Thumb

BONSAI VIDEOS

For those of us junkies who are entering the Fall/Winter seasons and will be spending less time outdoors - and will be craving the sights and sensations of the garden during the looong cooold :roll: months ahead, dreaming of our little trees, well we at least have lots of good sources of inspiration from free videos offered on the web.

Bjorn Bjornholm a young bonsai artist from Tennesee, fresh from his apprenticeship in Japan, has produced a series which can be seen here -
https://bjorvalabonsaistudio.com/

Place them in your "favorites" and enjoy them anytime you want.
:D

Intriguedbybonsai

Thanks! Now I have another collection of good bonsai videos to look at. Another good bonsai master is Graham Potter. https://www.youtube.com/user/GrahamWPotter

On a side note, I wish I could travel to Japan at least once in my lifetime to see not only the country, but their beautiful bonsai.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Can't believe I got only 1 reply from this post - thanks Intriguedbybonsai. Graham Potter's work is awesome as well. Glad you shared with us.

So I'm bringing it back up again.

Anyone else out there take the time to watch any of these videos? Learn a little something about real bonsai, serious bonsai?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tom -- when you click on the link you gave, it opens to Episode 21, so that's the only one I looked at. It is interesting and the tree produced is beautiful, but it didn't quite speak to me as a less than beginner (potential beginner!), because he started with a century old windswept white pine. How many of us at any level, get to start with a century old tree?

The one with a ordinary tree from a garden center for fifty quid is more my style...

TomM
Greener Thumb

Rainbow - The link takes you to the most current (monthly) video. But scroll down for earlier episodes, or use the 'archives' on the right side to select the month/year you want from the previous 12 months. Some feature Bjorn and others feature Japanese teachers. They are not all century-old pines but, yes, some are.

Bjorn Bjornholm is sharing his experiences in Japan with us - that's what this series is about. Not all of us aspire to these levels of bonsai 'learning'. Some will never advance past the kindergarten stage. That's OK. But some do want to move beyond that. As with all art forms there will be some who want to master their talents. Others will be content to sit back and observe. Again - OK.

I enjoy bringing some quality bonsai 'resource' info now and then. Like visiting a good museum, attending a great concert, an exhibition or a memorable meal. Take from this what you want.

Some of us do have century old trees - but are still students eager to learn more. :wink:

TomM
Greener Thumb

Bringing this video series around again. For those who thought that the previous episodes dealt too much on master level Asian trees - here's something new.
Episode #23 has Bjorn featuring NATIVE U.S. PLANT SPECIES COMMONLY USED FOR BONSAI - Rocky Mountain Juniper, Virginia Pine, Ponderosa Pine and American Hornbeam.
I hope you will enjoy this simple discussion.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Please please watch this new video of Ryan Neal. This is currently America's best hope of advancing the art of bonsai in a serious way. Ryan lives in Oregon where the video was shot. He recently completed a 7 year apprenticeship with Japan's top bonsai master. Now he teaches bonsai all around the country.

I had the pleasure of attending one of his lecture/demonstrations in 2010 and will do so again in early March. If you take bonsai seriously you should follow this young mans' career. You just might become addicted in the same way that I am.

Comments welcome.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What a beautiful place and amazing collection of truly elegant bonsai trees!

You are right, everyone interested in bonsai, especially beginners should watch this (probably a few times, in slo-mo) to get a better sense of what bonsai is really about and what they are aiming for.

Intriguedbybonsai

Dude, I love this guy's videos. I love how he edits them too. It gives it this whole mystical, and tranquil feel about it. I don't understand why people say wiring is the most difficult part of bonsai. That's how you give the tree it's shape.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Thank you. I encourage anyone out there who enjoys these videos to share them with all their bonsai friends.

This is not China, not Japan, no not Europe. This is in Oregon, USA.
This is the future of bonsai in America. This dynamic young bonsai artist, along with Bjorn Bjornholm and many others, will be leading the way for generations of upcoming bonsai students. Others, like Bill Valavanis and Dan Robinson (present day) and John Naka (past) have brought us to where we are today. But if you want to know what's now - what's next just watch this stuff.

Find a club you can join up with. Attend seminars and workshops. Visit the exhibitions and demonstrations. Follow the careers of these top-notch bonsai 'stars'. Especially important - find someone in your age group that you can relate to and focus on. Share the bonding experience that comes from discovery and excitement, learning new things, and improvement. Be influenced and inspired by those you respect.

Take the time and watch Ryan watering his trees. Listen to him discuss wiring. Each and every aspect of horticultural care, collecting trees, styling and display. It is all part of the process. It's not just - get a little plant, put it on a window ledge and "see my bonsai". It's more a lifestyle thing. No, we can't all dedicate our whole life to doing just this one thing. But it means that if we want to be a keeper of trees we must be willing to learn and practice good techniques.

Intriguedbybonsai

TomM wrote: Especially important - find someone in your age group that you can relate to and focus on.
That is easier said than done. It's hard to find other 28 year olds interested in bonsai, and other gardening what nots. It seems like whenever I see a bonsai enthusiast online, they are of middle age or older. I wish that more people around my age, or younger were into this fascinating art form.

I was never into the club scene, drinking, or watching sports like alot of guys my age. A lot of times I believe younger people take bonsai, or just plants in general for granted. When someone asks me what I do for fun, I tend to avoid telling them of my secret pleasure which is growing, or training bonsai trees.

lance

I'm with you Intriguedbybonsai, I live in Maine and have not met another bonsai enthusiast, except for the owners of the ONE nursery here that sells them. They are pretty condascending.
There used to be a bonsai club in my "city" but they haven't been active for years.
The past 3 years I have been getting my information and advice from people in the 3 forums I'm a member of or from videos like these.
I feel like the lone ranger.
Age is a non issue for me......I'm middle aged. haha

TomM
Greener Thumb

OK - let's keep this thread going a bit longer and anyone else can jump in - like a blog I guess.

Lance and Intrigued - Number #1 - Do not hide your interest in bonsai !! Let the world know. Get on facebook and list your interests. I was just contacted by a twenty-something in Ohio who just completed a 2-month long training session with Ryan Neal in Oregon. This guy is Mitch Alan Boatman. and he has started a business called CedarBog Bonsai. Check him out. There are people like him out there, terrific people of all ages all around the globe. Link up with them.

In 2005 I was in your boat, though much older, but I was frustrated and could not get to any area bonsai clubs. And by the way, yes, many clubs are really overloaded with geriatric types, overbearing, etc., etc. But clubs don't have to be like that.

Anyway I started a new club with another friend. Today it is doing well and I am rather proud of it. But 2 years ago we elected a 29 year as president. He was from outside our area (Syracuse - which is 50 miles away) and was actually a member of a club there. He enjoys our club more. He has since been re-elected for another term and HERE'S THE BOTTOM LINE. Since Dave became our club 'leader' the membership has just about doubled and the average age of the membership has dropped by 1/3. We now have an eleven year girl, and a couple high-schoolers as active members.

So the point is this. Young people are picking up on bonsai as a hobby, an art, even as a career. You just have to find your way. It's out there. It may even be all around you. Link up through social media. It is an amazing way to find others with similar interests. And they just might be nearby.

Tom
www.mvbonsai.com

Intriguedbybonsai

I googled up a local bonsai club for my area. It's called the San Diego Bonsai Club, and it's as I suspected. I might as well walk into a senior citizen home with my bingo stamper in hand. I really don't mean to sound disrepectful, but I would like to see a more well-rounded age group of people. I guess I'll have to find other means of networking with fellow bonsai enthusiasts. You know, people around my age that I can relate to. I really do try to learn what I can from Youtube.

These are the following people who inspire me.

https://www.youtube.com/user/chasnsx
https://www.youtube.com/user/GrahamWPotter
https://www.youtube.com/user/bjorvalabonsai

I have purchased several books, Japanese made tools(which were very expensive by the way), and pots. I've found an eBay seller who provides very good bonsai pots at reasonable prices. https://stores.ebay.com/ORIENTAL-ARTS-AND-FURNITURE-INC/Bonsai-Store-/_I.html?_fsub=2254619012&_sid=292502672&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

dstroud
Newly Registered

Intriguedbybonsai wrote:Thanks! Now I have another collection of good bonsai videos to look at. Another good bonsai master is Graham Potter. https://www.youtube.com/user/GrahamWPotter

On a side note, I wish I could travel to Japan at least once in my lifetime to see not only the country, but their beautiful bonsai.

Thanks for the videos. They were very informative & will be of help in the future!

TomM
Greener Thumb

Intriguedbybonsai - You should try to make contact with Ted Matson and with Bonsai Boon - https://bonsaiboon.com/. We have had both of them at our local club(s) and I think you would really enjoy the experience.

If the only nearby club (San Diego) doesn't float your boat and you can not get to any others - try this - join it anyway. For the cost of membership at least you can gain access to programs that do appeal to you. The club calendar (check it out on their web-site) will tell you what speakers, workshops, special events are scheduled. If you see 'Boon', Ted Matson, Dan Robinson, Ryan Neal, Bjorn Bjornholm coming to the San Diego club you should swallow your youthful pride and join in. Attend the programs that you feel will appeal to you. As a member you qualify and can gain access. That is worth the cost of dues.

OR, and I'm serious about this, start your own club from scratch. It's a challenge but it can be done. :wink: and I believe you've got the tools to do it.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Here's a very short new video taken at the GardenScapes Spring 2012 Show currently running in Rochester.

Enjoy with your speakers on!
https://bonsaiinbuffalo.com/

TomM
Greener Thumb

Lindsay Farr (Australia) has produced an extensive series of videos shot all around Asia for a world-wide audience. Here's a sampling -
https://vimeo.com/3272994

TomM
Greener Thumb

The bonsai videos by Bjorn Bjornholm episode #26 is posted here -
use your speakers for re-potting instruction.
While the subject material is quite large the basic concepts hold true for our smaller sized trees.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”