gbhunter77

jap maple from seed

Is it necessary to keep the seeds moist and in moss at 70 for 2 moths...i assume mold would start. Or is it better to just plant them out side in pots and let nature do its thing? This is the first time i have tried something like this so help would be wonderful.

Thanks

TomM
Greener Thumb

GOOGLE has plenty of sites covering this topic -
Here's one - https://plantpropagation.com/japanesemaplefromseed.htm
Our guy tomc has lots of first hand experience.
I'm bettin' he can help.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: Japanese maple from seed

gbhunter77 wrote:Is it necessary to keep the seeds moist and in moss at 70 for 2 months...i assume mold would start. Or is it better to just plant them out side in pots and let nature do its thing? This is the first time i have tried something like this so help would be wonderful.
Seeds outdoors (inna pot) with minimal protection of a cold frame or even a plank on top of the (bermed into soil) pot.

FWIW frankly I had better luck simply weeding out volunteer seedlings late in the spring. providence did for me better than I could do myself. I replanted those volunteer seedlings to my own pots with my best result.

I find it not merely a trial of moistening a dry Japan maple seed, but one of alowing a damp seed to go through the many cycles of warming and chilling that a winter has.

My short of this is: a damp seed needs go go from the tree to pot with no interuptions. Dried is dead.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Agree 100% with taking already started seedlings in spring. Some may not make it, some may. Either way, nature's done the germination work for you. IF there were some reason for me to start JMs from seed, I would do it in a bed, outdoors, in ground, and just cordon off the area. Alternatively, you could try the same in window boxes or similar pots. In my area, where people have JMs ornamentally, the seedlings are weeds.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

kdodds wrote:In my area, where people have JMs ornamentally, the seedlings are weeds.
Kdodds makes my point most eloquently.

My end of this beleif is foraging for seedling japan maple to "weed" out from under a local tree has a much better success rate, and is usually granted on request, by the timorous gardener.

Plus anywhere they will grow, they volunteer like gang busters.

My summer (2011) collection of seedling Japan maple was done with permission. Oddly enough they were off of some very dwarf cut or lace leaf parents. To my laymans eyes they sure look like bloodgoods.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”