Lazaroo

Winter is coming!!

Hi all, I have a few questions about what to do with my chinese elm over the next few months. I'm in the UK and we have suddenly got very cold weather coming and rumours of snow! I was in the sea 2 weeks ago in glorious sun so I have no idea how my tree must be feeling.

Anyway, I have it perched outside in the garden on a plastic table about 2 feet from a gravel floor. I'm worried about the pot freezing when the temp drops a bit more and also how, when and where to put it if I attempt to overwinter it somewhere dark like the garage.

Still has leaves but they are yellowing and dropping.

Do I wrap something around the pot to protect from frost? or would burying it in some earth be a good idea? I have a huge growbag type thing thats about a foot deep.

I tried searching as I'm sure ive seen info about this before but I'm in a different climate to most so any info would be really appreciated :D Thanks!

gbhunter77

I have been told that it can be placed in a dark garage. Or unheated room. I don't know if they have these in the UK but I have seen small tents that are used specialy for protecting plant from the cold dry wind.

Lazaroo

Thankyou.... do you know if it should go in the garage permanently or just at night?

gbhunter77

From talking with people here I was informed that the elm does not need light while dormant. You might want tovsearch the forum to verify. When in the garage make sure to open a door or window on sunny days or the garage will act like a green house. Some one suggested that putting snow in the pot while its in the garage will water the plant if it gets warmer and cool the plant. This method will give you a little buffer. A search may yeald other suggestions :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Lazaroo,

Here is what has worked for me regarding Chinese Elms. Early in the season I do nothing other than usual watering when necessary. The early frosts are nothing to worry about, in fact they are beneficial in helping to ready the tree for dormancy. But the real factor is the shortening of days this time of year so do not bring it inside and outside. Better to just leave it outside for now.

Around Thanksgiving (the end of November) I transfer them to an unheated, but attached garage. There is no access from the garage to the house so it is truly unheated except for being adjacent to the house. This space faces north so I have no issues with it heating up on warm days. This species is content to pass the whole winter in this fashion. Check for moisture in the soil periodically but do not keep it soaking wet constantly. I only water a handful of time over the entire winter.

No, deciduous trees do not require light during dormancy but be aware the Chinese Elms can hold onto their leaves and can be reluctant to shed them. Don't worry about this, the old leaves will be gone by spring or be shed in favor of new growth.

Norm

Lazaroo

Thanks so much,

As its just getting colder I guess it would be good to leave it out for another month and let the weather bring on the dormancy as you said Norm.

I have a garage next to my garden that it could go into for winter and I wont worry about the leaves now.

I'm not sure if a sunny day warms up the garage so I will do some investigating to see.

Thanks again!

Lazaroo

Hi all,

Its getting a little chilly here and as discussed earlier I'm ready to put my tree into the garage for the winter. Only thing is it has started to bud lots of new leaves and I'm wondering if its still the right thing to do for the tree?

This is my first time over wintering it outside and I have no idea what I'm doing :?

Thanks!

gbhunter77

Did you have a temperature spike? Or keep it in something that can cause a greenhoise effect? Last few weeks In Michigan have been nightmares. Very warm spell followed by very cold, then solid rain for 3 days nonstop, followed by a hard freeze...yay! My El is still outside I will be dumping it in the garage in a week or so. Also as I have learned black pots on a sunny day can cause the plant to warm up especially if it is small.

Lazaroo

Thanks for your reply... The weather has been all over the place this season...its remained warm way past seasonal expectations... we have skipped autumn and suddenly have frost and ice remaining on soil into the afternoon.

Its starting to turn really cold but it warms back up in between. Very odd!

Do you think its bad to be in a dark garage at this point? I have spring growth going on :shock:

Not sure that my tree is ready to be asleep!

gbhunter77

The shorter days and temerature drop is what trggers the tree to sleep. If you are going into freezing I would bring the tree in when the temp starts hanging around 0° C. But its best to buy one of remote outdoor thermometers and put it near or into the pot. If the temp comes close to 7-8 C° take the tree outside just protect it from wind. Or an even better idea is to open the garage to cool it. Last think you want is to shock the tree. First winter is the harder. I too am trying to figure stuff out.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”