gbhunter77

Any ideas

Any one have any possibilities for this "little gem".
[img]https://www.angelfire.com/on3/shellandpaulsphoto/2011-10-10_17.49.19.jpg[/img]

I did cut out a lot of the dead small branches.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Not really... the growth is already very high for the trunk size. Maybe thin out the canopy and let some light through to encourage lower back budding. The cluster of main branches, too, is a problem. Without having it in hand, it's hard to tell, but possibly you might choose one of those branches for a slant. Still, there'll be a lot of bare trunk before foliage.

luigonz

this is a Yew, correct? I have seen several of these trees at the local big box stores. its easy to find a 'thick' one that is lessthan 20 bucks. But, they seem to all branch from the same area on the trunk creating a bulge and strange branch placement.

that is not to say a nice yew is impossible !!!!

gbhunter77

Its a p. Abies or "little gem". I do have a yew but that will have to be given away since we have animals and a nephew that eats everything(plant is extreemly toxic).

manofthetrees

howdy,
not to be a downer,but if this is a birdsnest spruce "little gem" I would seriously consider not using it as bonsai.these trees are extremely slow growers.the tree will only grow about a foot in 10 years without pruning

gbhunter77

I was just looking through some books. I know what to look for and what I want. So once I thin out the heard, I will buy better samples.

manofthetrees

these are great for landscape planting they don't end up 10 times there original size in a few years like conifers. ive been looking for that exact speices for a while with no avail ...my father has had one for years

gbhunter77

Well I got rid of some plants. Did not have to destroy any of the plants. There was enough room in the back yard for all of them. 8) I am guessing that you are in a warmer state/country. In Michigan(USA) there are tons of places to get these shrubs.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”