gbhunter77

what to do about too many plants

Err.. Looks like I made the same error I read others have. I jumped in and now I have plants coming out of my ears :D. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue...I'm also sure I'm not the only one with an angry wife that will make me live with the plants if I don't "do something about it" . I think I way over over estimated the amount of loses I would have. Now with many of the tropicals going indoors I really noticed just how many I have. I'm thinking of cutting my stock down to 4-5 tropicals. In Michigan they can be very difficult to care for in winter. The local nursery will overwinter them but it can get pricey(.75 per inch on longest side per month).

TomM
Greener Thumb

Suggestion - start a local club/bonsai study group. Share your trees with newbies. Social media has proven to be such a quick way to gather people together.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah, check out meetup.com for your city..

TomM
Greener Thumb

No joking. With 2 other friends I started Mohawk Valley Bonsai Club in 2005. See www.mvbonsai.com. That was with no computer assistance whatsoever. It would be so much easier now.

Like you mention in your post I have forced myself to downsize my collection of trop's to 4 or 5. Only my very favorites.

But Oh! how the other group has grown - the hardy stuff that can take the cold - the larches, junipers, pines, maples, cypress and a spruce or two. :lol:
Hey, less lawn to mow - right?

PS - Just returned from our monthly club meeting. It certainly is a big part of my life now. Surround yourself with 20 or 30 of bonsai crazies and have a blast. You deserve it!

lucenda
Cool Member

Yes; I have that; too! I bought 3 bonsai myself; then I had a birthday party and ended up with 32 "bonsai" LOL! This forum gave me a good advice: make a planner. Just write down what has to be done. That helps for me. The next advice was to put some trees in the yard; and so I did.
They are very happy; there! I like the idea of a club. After my move; I want to visit one; too; and maybe I can make somebody happy with a pre-bonsai. Good luck!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If you're of a mind to give them away, you could also always put them up on craig's, ebay, or even forums like these. Who knows, you might even make a good portion of the money you spent back again.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”