KJT
Newly Registered

Mail order bonsai - Leaves Fell Off - Will it Recover?

I just got a Trident Maple in the post from a grower in New York. It was about 3 days in transit. When it arrived in was in the process of losing all its leaves. The soil was quite moist (used a meter) but two days later the defoliation is complete. Not only did the leaves drop but they were all discolored. They were not dryed up. It is a very established bonsai from a noted grower. It is about 24 inches tall with a 2.5 inch trunk.

Will it re-leaf or have I been sent a "lemon" instead of a Trident?

Thanks.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Where in NY? Are/were the leaves changing?

TomM
Greener Thumb

The forum members here are powerless to give you the help you need. I highly advise you to get in touch with the seller. Explain what you have experienced. Be specific concerning the time delayed delivery. It may have been your choice of delivery method for this order. Of course you need to discuss your location. Get their advice. Insurance could be involved.

Of course trident maples will lose their leaves in fall. I'm not familiar with your climate in Henderson. Do you have any other maple bonsai? Any experience with tridents?

Mine are crimson red right now, but we're having frosty nights and I expect the leaves will be dropping any day.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KJT,

As Tom alluded to, the season for the leaves of deciduous trees to drop is upon us. It is possible that the move simply precipitated the natural order of things. Had this occurred in midsummer I would be more concerned.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”