ynot
Greener Thumb

CJ,
Well, Ive taken everyone's suggestions into consideration and Ive repotted Malachi into well draining bonsai soil. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the brand but some of its components include turface, coarse sand, pine bark conditioner, and osmacote. I havent ferilized it yet b/c he still hasnt put off any new growth.
Please, Tell us what you used.

:shock: :shock: EDIT: I am a bit concerned with both the type of soil you have and your talking about ferts later on in this post when your soil already has fert in it...?????

Osmocote IS fertilizer

More details on your soil please [Pictures of the soil & packaging a link perhaps...] The N-P-K if it's given...ect.
Gnome wrote:No fertilizer right now. After it is in a free draining soil and putting on new growth, then fertilize.
As Gnome stated, It will be a month minimum before you need to worry about ferts. [ Fert is not a band aid or a cure for an ill, stressed, or weakened tree.]
And speaking of fertilizer, do you reccommend using a fertilizer that doesnt have any Nitrogen in it and is supposed to be root stimulating and used during the dormant season.
[ Actually, Nitrogen stimulates foliage growth-Which is why you want less of it during the off-season. I am just rephrasing what you meant for clarity]
It's true that normally that would be the case as it is the dormant season, It is also true that your tree is not dormant.
There is no need to over-complicate this, By the time you do need to fert just use a balanced one.
I fgured it might be a good idea since he's been through so much and has just been repotted? Please let me know what you think!!!
No, It is not a good idea. As I said before: Fert is not a band aid or a cure for an ill, stressed, or weakened tree.
It is nutrients that your tree is most likely too stressed to utilize anyway.

I assure you It will not starve to death in 4 to 6 weeks in a commercial bonsai soil. [I would like to see a picture of the new soil also please :)].

Looking forward to the pictures:

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

CJ,

As Ynot has noted, Osmocote is a slow release fertilizer and since it is included in your soil you will not need to even consider any further fertilization for some time. Do not panic and re-pot it again, this is not the worst thing that could have happened. To borrow a well known phrase "stay the course".

Be aware that your watering, dare I say it, schedule will need to be adjusted. Now that you have it in a free draining mix it will dry quicker and need to be watered more frequently. It is important that you completely wet the entire soil mass each time you water. This will take a little bit of adjustment on your part just be vigilant. Please keep us posted.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

CJ,

I really didn't mean to impart such a sense of urgency into my previous post... :oops:

I didn't read it that way initially, But upon a re-read I see it could be construed that way. [Hey, I gotta be me :)..]

As Gnome noted to take care with your watering.

Gnome, You are forgiven... You know what for. :razz: ;) :lol::lol:

ynot

cnjones83
Newly Registered

Oh wow?!? I don't know if I did wrong or did right?!? :shock: :? :shock:

Sorry for being so unclear, but much to yall's relief, I DID NOT fertilize him yet...I just repotted him into some better draining soil. I wanted to know what yall thought b/4 I did give him fertilizer. :D

I purchased the soil from a website and they didnt give me any breakdown of the N-P-K. I don't know if thats a good sign or a bad sign. Also my camera batteries are dead, so Ill have to wait until I can make it to the store, but I will post some pics of the soil as soon as possible. Here's a link to the website though: https://www.shbonsai.com/

Please tell me what you think!

Oh and to ynot, its cool! :wink: It just lets me know how passionate you are about what you do.

Thanks again,
CJ

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

CJ,
I DID NOT fertilize him yet...I just repotted him into some better draining soil.
some of its components include turface, coarse sand, pine bark conditioner, and osmacote. I havent ferilized it yet b/c he still hasnt put off any new growth.
These two statements are at odds with each other as Osmocote IS fertilizer.
I purchased the soil from a website and they didn't give me any breakdown of the N-P-K.
Soils will not be identified in this way, N-P-K is a measure of Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium. This is a measure of how much of these nutrients are in fertilizers.
I wanted to know what yall thought b/4 I did give him fertilizer.
No need to fertilize for a while now as there is already a slow release fertilizer included in your soil. Just take it easy, continue to monitor the moisture level and let the tree be for a while now.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

cnjones83 wrote:
Oh and to ynot, its cool! :wink: It just lets me know how passionate you are about what you do.
Thanks CJ, [img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/big/12.gif[/img]

On occasion I get asked to not 'yell' so much :lol: ;)...

It is good to know that you [IE:] understand all my colors and bold, italics, etc... are simply emphasis to draw your attention.

Not everybody 'reads' it that way.... :shrug:

Gnome makes some excellent points wrt to not panicking, And as he reiterated Osmocote IS fert. So if it is in your soil you already have ferts in there.

Again: No need to fert for quite a while. As Forest Gump would say: "one less thing to worry about."

It was me that brought up the N-P-K query and as it is most likely a fairly low dosage and all will be well ...
[Most likely- Don't get all stressed Cj, This is supposed to be RELAXING..;) :lol:]

Looking forward to the pics:

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”