gbhunter77

bahama berry

This might be the first casualty of cold weather. I have not gotten used to the winter watering schedule. But it seems my bahama brrry plant dried out. With name "I dry I die" its hard not to think that this means the plant is toast. I did scrach the surface of the wood and it was green. I'm not familiar with how this plant behaved when it dries out. So any input would be welcome thanks.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Nope, it's toast. Really needs a greenhouse (heated) or aquarium if you bring it in. No kidding, miss a watering, they die, and can repeat it every time. ;) We are talking about Nashia inaguensis, right?

TomM
Greener Thumb

I lost my bahama berry last year -but not in the usual way. Yes they are known as unforgiving if you skip a watering. They do like wet feet and high humidity. Kept mine going for 6 or 7 years and lookin' good. Loved those tiny shiny leaves and micro white flowers - sweet/spicy scent. By far my favorite tropical. But in the end it actually rotted around the base of the trunk from all the constant moisture.

If you haven't already done so you could try to simply cut it back a little. The branch tips are least likely to come back. If you see green give it another chance. My tree recovered from a few near death experiences over the years. A drop or two of SUPER THRIVE in the water is worth the trouble.

Best of luck!

gbhunter77

Do you know what that means? It means there is no way the bahama berry is going to die. Murphys law, if I did not buy something the berry tree would be done. Lol for some odd reason thats how it seems to work :lol: I did soak the berry plant. And will admit I did enjoy how it looked and smelled. Time will tell if it will make it. Thanks fore the advice.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”